Anyone feeling lucky today?

Please HEEEELP!?!?!?! 95 Chevy Lumina, has electrical problems...imagine that! anyway my water pump and compressor have this nasty habit of going out AT THE SAME TIME even. And although ive been assured they shouldnt be related here is the real interesting part..Something whacky in the electrical, van cranks will run but is bogged down till 20 MPH, windows dont work fans dont work AC doesnt work, ABS light remains on. It has done this on several occasions and sometimes it magically just corrects itself so im assuming a relay resets itself. Had ignition replaced 3 times and it did good for a little while then does same thing again. The ignition problems happen to coincide closely with pump and compressor issues and since it seems something is pulling too big a load and my compressor pump generator and power steering are all on one serpantene belt my amatuer opinion is that all these problems may be related after all...but HOW? alternator is checked and fine new serpantene belt, new pump and compressor of course checked battery connections and fuses, relays show no sign of corrosion from coolant blow out from other problems but who knows. Could it be the ABS relay? interior exterior lights and radio work fine.

Reply to
taken

Did you have the alternator tested while the fault was in effect or when it was clear?

Reply to
Ryan Underwood

while fault was in effect, this time its been 2 days and hasnt magically reset itself yet. Im tired of paying for ignition and labor knowing thats just a bandaid and its going to keep happening till i figure out why.

Reply to
taken

while the fault was in effect. this time its been 2 days and hasnt reset itself and im sooo tired of paying to have ignition replaced knowing its just going to happen again till i figure out whats going on.

Reply to
taken

Did you do something to the car prior to this happening? The water pump and a/c compressor aren't related to each other except, like you've mentioned, they're driven by a serpentine belt. The hesitation until 20mph leads me to believe that you have a spark plug wire switched or disconnected.

If your A/C doesn't work, then how do you know the compressor is good? Who has been replacing the water pump, compressor and ignitions? Are you changing the ignition switch, the ignition cylinder, ignition coil, what?

Reply to
Bruce Chang

bad relay replace em all

your getting spikes from the alt to i would say

make sure you have all the correct fuses in the right places

Reply to
tudysmuck

Thats what i was wondering...mechanic is supposed to be checking relays today. On the alt. issue and all the things driven by that one belt that keep going out do you suppose the relay is causing the mechanicle problems or a mechanicle problem is screwing up the relay? Could something dragging or catching that belt like lets say the idle pulley not spinning freely all the time be the actuall root of the whole ordeal? When I say its bogged down to 20MPH its not like a miss its like you floor the gas and engine is straining and tight but barely moving the van till you get to that speed then it runs fine. Ive had 2 water pumps and 2 compressors this year and 3 ignitions, last ignition 3 weeks ago last pump and compressor put on just last week then ignition immeadiately went out again.

Reply to
taken

you might possibly have a short some place trace your main power wires and look for one that maybe burned and rubbing on metal. I had a similar problem and spent lots of money at a shop and ended up finding the problem myself a power wire was shorting out.

Reply to
toni d via CarKB.com

well i went with a new ignition again to band aid the situation, had a different garage do it and they found one of the wires to it was coroded worn and partialy melted...hmmmm...so lets hope that was the problem and pretend if it was that the first garage simply didnt notice that all the times they did it. Thanks for your help.

Reply to
taken

didnt even make it the day..its gone out again. Back to the drawing board and another garage.

Reply to
taken