Are Wrangler's Safe for First-time Drivers?

To have some fun, first read "Are Wrangler's Safe for Babies?" from 1997.
I was the original poster of this question:
https://groups.google.com/forum /#!topic/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys/3sn-571d94k
Well, by "baby" turns 16 tomorrow. I want to get him a jeep for his birthday, but my wife (same wife as original thread :) doesn't think it would be a safe first car. Thoughts?
- Thanks
To have some fun, first read "Are Wrangler's Safe for Babies?" from 1997.
I was the original poster of this question: https://groups.google.com/forum /#!topic/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys/3sn-571d94k
Well, my "baby" turns 16 tomorrow. I want to get him a jeep for his birthday, but my wife (same wife as original thread :) doesn't think it would be a safe first car. Thoughts?
- Thanks
TexasFury wrote:

https://groups.google.com/forum /#!topic/rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys/3sn-571d94k

As safe as anything else - but as with any piece of machinery YOU need to teach him the specific idiosyncrasies involved with short wheel-base, high cg. vehicles. There are some ways in which a live axle vehicle like the Jeep handle very differently than the family sedan - or SUV.
--
Will Honea

Will Honea wrote:

Yep. Remember that younguns are "invulnerable." Or to put it in sailing parlance. Your goal is to fill up your bucket of skill before your bucket of luck runs out.
Go for the 4cyl. Lower horse power == lower chance of doing stupid things.
--
DougW

11 years ago we bought our daughter a 95 YJ for graduation, 4 cyl. she still has it today, although now it has locked front and rear, 36" tires, half hard top etc. but we thought a year or 2 after buying it, that it was the best vehicle we could of bought, doesn't go fast, built like a brick, roll bar.
"DougW" wrote in message
Will Honea wrote:

Yep. Remember that younguns are "invulnerable." Or to put it in sailing parlance. Your goal is to fill up your bucket of skill before your bucket of luck runs out.
Go for the 4cyl. Lower horse power == lower chance of doing stupid things.
--
DougW

On 5/26/2014 8:33 PM, TexasFury wrote:

I think that the long wheelbase Jeep Wrangler unlimited is a safer model due to it's non-equal wheelbase and axle width. This model was first available in the 2004 model and moved to the four door model in 2007: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeep_Wrangler_Unlimited
Lynn