BIG 4 SUED FOR ABS STOPPING DISTANCES!

It's scary to drive on packed ice without ABS as well.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

LOL! I'm glad someone else out there finds that stupid "titanium" razor commercial as funny as I do with regard to how "sharp" titanium is. First time I saw that, I was like, so what about those titanium golf clubs, or titanium raquetball raquets? Maybe I should avoid playing golf or raquetball my clubs or raquet is made of this "sharp" metal, for fear of having an arm or leg sliced off! heheh

Reply to
Bob

I think they might be using it as an advertising ploy. They are probably titanium coating their blades. This has become a common practice in the machining business. the coating is actually titanium nitride (commonly referred to as TiN, and pronounced tin in the machining industry), or a variation of it. It definitely improves tool life in machining applications, but I have no idea what it does for a razor, LOL.

Here is a page about it if you are interested:

On 10 Dec 2003 10:48 AM, L.W.(?ill) Hughes III posted the following:

You finally got it right; it is beyond you.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

I have a lot more respect for Stainless Steel shavings, they can be really dangerous on a lathe.

Is Boing Surplus still open? I love that place. I bought ten various shaped carbide die-grinder burrs, only used once, for $5 each, about ten years ago.

Reply to
Paul Calman

You can snow a Snow bird, but you can't shit a Shit bird. God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W.(ßill)

On 10 Dec 2003 03:32 PM, Paul Calman posted the following:

Heh. When I went there in '99 I bought 2 bags of five of those, for $15/ bag.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

applications,

....and I bet that this is where they are coming from. By coating their blades with titanium they might be getting a longer timespan holding that edge. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

On 10 Dec 2003 04:18 PM, L.W.(?ill) Hughes III posted the following:

Maybe not, but I can sure as shit shoot a shit bird.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

This is the exact reason why I have removed it from my 1995 Z71. Now I know what to expect of my braking actions, wet, dry, smooth, bumpy roads be damned.

Reply to
Stephen Young

i've used thick gauge extension cord for as long as i can remember ;) the only time ive put money into cables are for video transfer and in PA systems, where mic feedback is a real concern. my ears can't tell enough of a difference between expensive 12 or 10g cable vs equivalent gauge reg ol wire ;)

-Steve 98 TJ

Reply to
Goat Crapp

I'll agree here - my experience with my own vehicles limit "slippery" to wet and rainy... not snowy :( just personal preference,since i leave ABS enabled most of the time on my vehicles.. and it rarely rarely activates, however this past snowfall in ny? yup. abs fuses pulled.i can't stand sliding halfway into an intersection at a snails pace as the abs is just put puttering, fighting for something to grip, rather than the tires digging in the soft pile and stopping at the light.

-Steve 98 TJ

Reply to
Goat Crapp

Who do you think runs the locomotive around the factory :D

Reply to
Jay Stuler

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

You are describing times when directional control may be lost when there is no ABS system present or working. During times of no ABS system present or working (my BMW has an ABS system that is always present, but it likes to stop working for some unknown reason), the tires can lock up during any attempt to stop. If the tires lock up, directional control is lost. ABS prevents the tires from locking up, which allows the operator to retain directional control.

ABS never decreases stopping time or distance. Never. It always increases steering control. Always.

Actually, this is only partly true. Most cars today still have what is called 3-channel ABS. Even my BMW has this kind of ABS. With 3 channel systems, you get ABS to each of the front tires separately, and both rear tires at the same time. Many P/U trucks have 1 channel ABS that only affects the rear axle, and then it does both tires the same. What I am trying to illustrate is that when both tires on the rear axle are controlled by the same channel in the ABS system, then if one tire begins to skid, the other tire also loses braking pressure. Of course, there are 4 channel systems that pulse each tire separately, but most cars haven't got them yet.

You can check this out by looking under the hood at the ABS valve body. If there are 5 brake pipes connected to it, then you have a 3 channel system. You need 6 lines for a full 4 channel ABS system. Two of the brake pipes come from the Master Cylinder, one for the front brakes and one for the rear. Three of the brake pipes go to the wheels, one to each of the front wheels and one to the rear axle.

So, when the 3 channel ABS system is pulsing the rear axle, both brakes are being activated and released even is one of the tires has good traction the entire time. Your assertion that "the rig" will stop quicker may be true, but studies have shown that ABS in a passenger car shine in the area of retaining operator control, and this shining overshadows the downside of increased stopping distances, especially when the passenger car under study has a 3 channel ABS system.

Reply to
CRWLR

On 11 Dec 2003 12:48 PM, CRWLR posted the following:

A rolling object has better traction than a sliding object, and can therefore stop in a shorter distance. Why is this so difficult to understand?

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

On 12 Dec 2003 08:22 AM, L.W.(?ill) Hughes III posted the following:

What you don't understand, is that the whole point of ABS is that it will hold the tires at that point of ultimate traction with better consistency than any but a few highly skilled drivers. Jeep's ABS, like any other correctly set up 4 wheel ABS system, will NOT totally release the pressure to the rear wheels when one starts to lock, it will REGULATE (or modulate, pick whichever word you like) the fluid pressure sent to the rear wheels to keep them them from locking up. The ABS does the same thing that a good driver can do, except that as a driver you can only control the overall system pressure, and not pick and choose how much pressure goes to the left front vs. the right front or to the rear axle. So what if Jeep's particular style of ABS can't modulate the rear wheels independently? You as a driver can't do that either and you also can't change the bias front to rear or side to side on the fronts while driving, as the ABS system can.

Bottom line, the system works for those of us who understand it and are willing to turn over the control to the machine. Those of you who can't or won't do that, shouldn't drive vehicles equipped with ABS, but that is no justification for incorrectly blaming the mechanism for your own bias.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

That's one opinion, pretty much totally unbacked by factual content, but nontheless amusing.

Reply to
Lon Stowell