Bike racks, again...

Well, the search for the dead cheap 'couple of tubes' bike carrier has failed.

What's the cheapest thing out there that will carry two bicycles on the spare wheel (or back door) of a Defender?

Reply to
William Black

have to confess my own preferred method of carrying a bike involves a 25 tonne press and folding it up very very small :-)

DerekW

Reply to
DerekW

Tow Sure will flog me a towing ball mounted one for less than that...

If they had any :-(

Reply to
William Black

On or around Fri, 1 May 2009 21:57:37 +0100, "William Black" enlightened us thusly:

I'd be inclined not to have the spare wheel and bikes, without some sort of extra support. Just the wheel knackers the door after a while.

If you don't find owt, let me know, I can probably make summat.

You really want it pivoted on a mount on the back crossmember, I reckon, so it swings out of the way of the door, although to get it right I'd really need the vehicle here. It'd be an excuse to come and visit Wales...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

People keep telling me this.

My car is now 14 years old and no sign of anything but a bit of alloy plague so far...

Hmmm...

In fact it's almost time for the Hammerite to come out again...

I think I've found something on the Simbars site that looks as if it's inside my price range.

I'll be phoning them up after the holiday and finding out if they sell to the public and, if not, then who does sell them.

Reply to
William Black

My Defender's door hinges started rattling badly with just the wheel on there, although I didn't notice the door skin being stretched by the wheel holder bolts. I did off-road mine quite a bit which doesn't help, the wheel gets a lot more bouncing up and down!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I had to weld the door frame up inside the rear door on our 110 as it was fractured when we got it. Either the weight or its been reversed in to a wall at some point. No bent pannels mind so I guess its the weights.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

-------------------

I saw that one but it needs the cranked arm to go around the spare wheel, and they charge about another £40 for that for reasons I don't understand...

Reply to
William Black

Landrover used to supply a strengthening plate shaped to fit round the inner door framework of the 90" and 110", I've fitted a few over the years but I can't remember the part number now, but it definitely was a genuine part.

Reply to
Oily

Cheers Martin, I may just look that one up.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

I'll see if I can find it, should be able to if they are still available.

Reply to
Oily

I got a pukka Halfords strap-on (oo-er, missus) jobbie from ebay for about a tenner ... works really well.

Hooks over the spare wheel and straps behind, under and to each side of it. Doesn't move and carries (supposedly three) four bikes, at a push, with ease.

Reply to
Paul - xxx