BPE questions

Hey,

I'm prepping my 00 XJ for the installation of my RE6030 (3.5 Super flex). PB blasting every bolt, making sure everything comes out easily so that on lift day, things go smoother.

As EVERYONE here knows, the upper rear shock BP bolts broke off. All four of em :banghead: . Third XJ I've done this on, first time I've had even one break.

I decided I don't want to mess around with drilling them out and fishing in new nuts onto new bolts when I can get a set of BPE's for $22.

The question is.. I have all ready ordered the shocks for my 3.5" kit. The BPE's ad 1.25" to my shocks. Will the BPE's make my shocks too long? I have a 1.5" shackle I can throw on the back, then I could buy another BPE set for the front and throw a 1.5" spacer up front, but I really don't want to run

5" of lift without a SYE, even on an XJ.

Comments?

Carl

Reply to
Carl S

Carl,

If I'm reading you right, the lift shackles and coil spacers, while accommodated (but not required) by the BPEs, don't address the real adjustment you're facing -- that is, having the shocks bottom out before the bottoming cones do. Having said that much, it wouldn't be the first time that a shock spec. allowed a fair amount of wiggle room

-- I'd take the time to calculate the space available when bottomed out and compare it to the shock manufacturer's or kit supplier's specified collapsed shock length.

Jon

Reply to
Jon

Carl,

Looks like my reply didn't take -- to sum it up, there's a shot that the spec'd shocks can accommodate the 1.25" distance, but it's not the extended length that you'll have troubles with, as the BPEs might make the shock bottom out before the bump stops make contact. The best thing I can come up with is to measure and calculate the available room when the suspension is bottomed out, then compare to the shock mfr's specs. Good luck!

Jon

Reply to
Jon

So you would need to get new shocks that are 1.25" different in length not 'travel' if you are putting in 'just' the BPE if I am reading this correct?

That kinds seems off to me.....

Your shocks to fit a stock setup are also going to be off by 1.25.

I don't get the BPE 'adds length'. Does that mean it sits up 1.25" higher or lower than the stock mount.

Meanwhile it really isn't likely the shocks that came with the lift are going to fit and you sure don't want the shock to be the bumpstop or full extension limiter, something will break.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Hey,
Reply to
Mike Romain

I believe Mike has this right - your lift will be fine, but the shocks won't. Find a chart that has shock lengths and travel. Hang on...

page has some good information about shocks if you scroll down. If they haven't shipped your order, call them immediately and make a change (whoever "they" are).

Sounds like you're going to have a nice setup, Carl. Is this the same XJ you had a while ago, light blue or something like that? Post up some pictures of it somewhere when you're done.

Brian