Break pads for 02 wrangler

Hi,

I need to replace the front pads on my 02 wranger sport. It is all stock with stock 30 9.5 15 Goodyear Wranglers. Any recommendation on Brands and models.

I was going to go with Bendix D477CT

Reply to
John Stio

The only brand of brake pads I've installed on my TJ that actually improved my TJ's decidedly poor (from the 35" tires) braking are from Performance Friction. Autozone carries them as do most other car parts dealers. They're the favorite in my group of friends that have big tires that really strain the factory brakes. If you buy them from Autozone, maybe other car parts stores too, they come with a lifetime warranty.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Jerry Bransford did pass the time by typing:

Ditto, Raybestos Performance Friction pads.

Ya know.. how do you put a lifetime warantee on pads? That just doesn't make sense. :/ Is it the pads lifetime? :)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
David C. Moller

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

The original factory pads on an '02 TJ are ceramic. I replaced the front pads on my '02 TJ with Bosch Ceramic Pads, part #RBC477. They cost $49.99 at a local auto parts store.

I've had them on now for about 5000 miles. It may be my imagination, but they seem to stop better (seems like less pedal pressure is needed) than the factory original pads. Very quiet, no squeaks, (I hate squeaky brakes) and they seem to have less brake dust. I'm very happy with them. They also came with a lifetime guarantee from Murray's Auto Parts store where I bought them.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

You must be an artist with using engine braking or do all highway driving!....

That is a 'lot' of miles on one set of pads.

Mike

"David C. Moller" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

True that... I know my case would be the exception to the rule hehehe. You're right, my daily commute to work is ~70 miles round trip, and almost all of it is Interstate. Although I do get stuck in rush hour traffic quite often LOL. And I do have the manual tranny and downshift.

While we're on the topic though, what would be the 'typical' life span for brakes? And as John mentioned in the start of this thread, what are recommended replacement brands? I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and going with OEM from the dealer since the original set has lasted me this long. Although I've replaced brakes before on vehicles I've purchased used, I've never had the vehicle long enough after that to do a second replacement. And the Jeep is my first new vehicle that I've kept for the entire term of the loan (woo hoo, about 3 payments left!).

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

Dave, you sure don't want to pay the dealer prices for the front pads. I checked and they are about $140 for the "A" line of Mopar pads. They have an "A" line of Mopar pads, and a "B" line of Mopar pads which cost much less. The "A" line are ceramic pads that came as original equipment on '02 TJ's. You can get Bendix, Bosch, or Raybestos ceramic pads at your local auto parts store for MUCH less than the dealer.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Hey, thanks for the help guys,

The Bendix ceriamics are around $60,

I checked othe the Performance Friction, $34. Based on the multiple comments about the performanc friction i am leaning towards them.

Reply to
John