Bring back the Brat or modernize the Wrangler

Of course, people who disagree with you are always trolls.

My Outback, the mate to my Jeep, is quite similar to a Volvo, so I agree with your point.

Barry

Reply to
Bonehenge

Peter D. Hipson

Uh, yeah, but since the the discussion was started about looking for something comparable to a Subie Brat (good fuel economy but with a

2-spd case), I'd say the diesel Liberty fits the bill nicely. I'd say the Liberty has more off-road credentials then the Brat ever did.

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

That's probably true. At least off the lot, anyway. There are/were a lot of aftermarket parts and accessories designed to increase the off-road capabilities of the Brat, which were pretty good for a tiny truck that was actually a car anyway. And do not forget that the Brat had jumpseats.

-Matt

Reply to
Hallraker

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

This weekend I got 20.6 US mpg ( 24.5 UK mpg) over 620 miles @ 70-75mph. Pretty good for a Wrangler I thought.

Dave Milne

Since you've been in both, what's your opinion on them? I'm curious to know more. I've seen Hummers around, mostly H2s but one or two H1s also, but don't know much more about them. I think they look oversized and clumsy and are too expensive, but I don't know anything about how they actually feel. Since I'm always interested in learning, I would appreciate any insights you wish to offer.

So does my F-150.

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Jah. There was one of those a few doors down from the townhouse I lived in last year. I was never drawn by it as I drove by in my F-150 or BroncoII :-).

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

I've actually looked at a few websites that had info on off-roading Subarus. Kinda interesting and they would make a unique off-roader. Gearing has to be a big issue though as the tires get bigger.....

The Brat was definately cool in its day!

Matt

99 V-10 Super Duty, Super Cab 4x4
Reply to
Matt Mead

everything (and i mean _everything_) you ever needed to know about how a hummer compares to a tj can be found at

Nathan W. Collier

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Dave Milne

...just a dedication to providing information and entertainment to the jeeping community. :-)

nah, snow is almost completely gone. now that doesnt mean we wont get 12 feet before april, but for now its gone.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

ill be able to resume work when i get my hands on my rubicon. i sold my big ironworker before my move to montana (didnt have room for it on the truck, wasnt going back for it) but will buy another locally eventually. for now im working with a manual bender.

Reply to
Nathan W. Collier

They are surprisingly capable, and the older 4x4 models were arguably better off-road than the newer AWD models. Mine is AWD, and in 5 years I've been stuck twice: got high centered on an ice shelf with all four wheels about 2" off the ground, and another time I couldn't make it up a hill. Of course, it's worth noting that the hill was about 45 degrees, there was 15" of snow, and a 1/2 inch ice sheet underneath that. Oh yeah, and I had summer tires.

When I got high centered, that night was so awful that my friend's snowplow truck got stuck after he pulled me out. Since the tow strap was still attached, I gave it a mighty pull with the Subaru and freed a GMC 3500 snowplow truck from the snowbank.

Reply to
Hallraker

There are rumors of a foreign market only dual range tranny that is floating around. Dunno if it fits newer US Soobs though.

Carl

Matt Mead wrote:

Reply to
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

I owned a 1987 BRAT for 9 years. Definitely one of the best vehicles I have ever owned. It went off road really well although I wouldn't use it for the Rubicon trail. It had a part-time two speed shift on the fly transfer case with the hubs permanently locked. It also has adjustable height torsion bars on the rear and adjustable height struts on the front. Crap, the thing also had a gear driven cam and hydraulic lifters. No maintenance at all. I kind of miss it. It was also was waaay better lookin than the Baja. Mine didn't have the jump seats so the bed was usable. I actually was able to put a Gold Wing back there.

Reply to
Rob Munach

Very nice. Where did Joe get those vehicles from? Is the MB available in olive-drab instead of robin-egg blue?

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

What is the t-case ratio in low-range? I've always wondered.....