Can't transfer tags anymore???

I was going to drive a YJ I bought for the summer months and a cherokee SE in the winter, giving each some mileage breaks - so I was going to transfer tags back and fourth instead of carrying both on my insurance. However, the DMV of MD told me I can only transfer tags one time? In other words I cannot switch them back again. Is there anyway around this or does anyone have suggestions? My father used to do that with his vehicles years back. cheerz

Reply to
updawaz00

I know folks that have multiple vehicles and transfer the insurance policy, but both vehicles have their own plates. Or they drop to just fire and theft on the one parked. One friend does the fire and theft thing every few months.

Mike

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That's probably the best way to handle it Mike... thanks

Reply to
updawaz00

I'm in California, and we could never do that, even once.

The exception is handicap and vanity plates. These are issued to the person to put on a car, and they can be moved - with proper notification - to another vehicle. I am not sure they can be moved back and forth among two vehicles though. I have a couple of cars that I have to insure even though they are parked most of the time.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Yeah, and they wouldn't like you to send them a letter twice a year moving them back and forth.

Basically, if you SELL Vehicle A, you can move the vanity plates to Vehicle B. But you can't take the tags off of Vehicle A and leave it parked in the side yard waiting for the next season and use those tags on Vehicle B.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

In Massachusetts, you can transfer the plates for a fee. I think it's $35. Here's the hitch. If the plates are on the car and I transfer them to the Jeep, I can drive neither to the registry to do it. It is illegal to drive the car without the plates assigned to it. Otherwise you end up with two registered and insured vehicles. I still haven't figured out how to drive two cars at once, but that's what I'm paying for.

Reply to
Steve Foley

Maybe a dumb question ...but exactly how much are plates where you guys are from? I currently own and have registered and insured 3 different vehicles - all with their own plates. A new set of (non-personal) plates costs $7 for the pair. Are they really that much in other places that it's worth transferring or paying a fee to do so? When you guys say "tags" ...what are you referring to? I only have the following to pay for: license plates, vehicle registration/insurance fee, driver's license.

griffin '85 Jeep CJ7 '97 Toyota Corolla SD '01 Toyota Corolla CE+

Reply to
griffin

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

A little OT. Things could be worse. Here in Michigan we can't even get renewal plates for trailers - we have to buy 'lifetime' plates for several hundred $$$$. I have an old trailer I just wanted to use last year and the price of the plates was higher than the value of the trailer. Steve

Reply to
popeyeball

Here in low-cost Connecticut, passenger vehicle registration renewal costs $74 for a two-year period. If you need new plates there's an additional fee.

griff> Maybe a dumb question ...but exactly how much are plates where you guys are

Reply to
Lee Ayrton