CJ7 3spds?

Printed this out, checked these areas, and sure enough they weren't doing so well. One rear side seemed to be mostly through for about a 2" length. I turned away from the Jeep and actually ended up bumping into a potentially blockbuster deal shortly after, as fate may have it (we'll see on Saturday) ...but for curiousity sake ...how big a deal is this? The rust was through where the spring shackle, rear bumper member, and the frame member that holds the body up all come together so I'm assuming it's important that this area be strong and structurally sound? Is it repairable or pretty much fubar when it gets to this point?

Thanks again!

Reply to
griffin

'If' there is enough steel left, I have seen boxes put over the frame tails so everything can be mounted back onto them, but usually the metal is so crystallized by this point there isn't much to weld to.

Someone makes a kit that plates both sides of the frame tails to be used before it gets terminal.

For sure that frame is too crystallized to off road safely with for very long. A patch job will do for a street queen Jeep, but the patches, well....

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Printed this out, checked these areas, and sure enough they weren't doing so
Reply to
Mike Romain

The Jeep 3 speeds from that era were cast iron and practically bullet-proof. IIRC the cases and innards were shared with Scouts and perhaps Broncos, with some small changes to the input and output.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton
5th gear is even pretty useless on a 3.07 ratio with 29s on a stock set up. If you bothered to read Mike's posts instead of ranting you will note that he doesn't do rock crawling - so for him his set up works. Autoboxes do great with less than 5 gears.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne