Computer for a 94 4.0L YJ

Does any one have any ideas on where to find a Computer for a 94 4.0L engine? I could buy new but I would like to avoid the $500.00 hit. I have checked with SEVERAL salvage yards here in Omaha and every where else in the country even those specializing in Jeeps. I bought one from a "4.0L" engine that turned out to be from a 91 2.4L(part

56027536), so if anyone wants it let me know I'll sell it to ya cheep. Or can you have the 2.4L reprogrammed to support the 4.0 engine. Apparently it is practice to crush salvaged vehicles with the computers in them. This seems wastefull but there must not be enough of a demand for them.

Thanks. Mike

Reply to
Mike

Try these guys

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Why do you think yours is dead?

Mike

Mike wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

That's my question too. Usually, as far as I know, these things don't go out unless water damage.

Reply to
William Oliveri

Most of the time a CPU failure is actually due to bad ground or corroded connector. But it can happen. On my ZJ the whole computer is potted in hard plastic/epoxy stuff.

and speaking of potted... I need a beer.

Reply to
DougW

Hey, Mike, I know this is OT, but where in Omaha are you? I'm in Bellevue. Shoot me an email at "gymrat"@"cox.net". Take out the "s...

Reply to
Eric

The engine was running real rough, so I had my friend run some tests on it and he traced the problem back to the computer( or so I hope if I buy a new one ). I guess it was only running on five cylinders.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

On a 94, I would be cleaning grounds before spending money.

On my 4.2, the computer has some ground tags on the back side of the block near the oil pressure sender, think my 4.0 does too and I think yours has a computer ground on the inside of the firewall up on top of the gas pedal area.

Some YJ's also have a ground tag for the computer and fuel pump on the emergency brake pedal bracket.

These are all small black wires.

Then the main sneaky one is either the battery to the firewall at the firewall and/or there is a mesh cable from the rear of the head to the firewall. They don't 'look' dirty easily, if they look dirty, they are.

If any of these are corroded, the computer will have brain farts.

Mike

Mike wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Not knowing what tests were run and how, I would be looking for a bad ingition part (plug, plug wire, cap/rotor) or a bad injector (injector itself and/or the wiring to to it) before forking out any money on the computer. Having a single performance failure in the computer is a pretty unlikely event compared to the above. Pull the plugs and identify the bad cylinder - it should be obvious from the appearance - and start from there.

Reply to
Will Honea