Compass looks like a kiddie car + pic of a Scrambler

I just puked when I saw the pics of the Compass. Auto Week says that DCX greenlighted it.

Mort

Reply to
Mort

It almost looks like the old Willys-Knight sleeve valve pickup, or a good reason not to do psychedelic drugs.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Looks sorta like a cross between the new Nissan and an AMC Eagle. Don't know if I like it yet or not.

The Scrambler does look short. Someone on this news group said the dimensions were the same as the old Scrambler. I've got an '82 Scrambler sitting in my driveway with a 6' bed. The one in the picture looks more like a 4' bed. I will not get rid of my '82 for that.

Reply to
Michael White

Reply to
Thomas W.

omg-that thing is sooo ugly! the scrambler looks a little short doesn't it? jeep is going to hell

serg

Are you on crack?

Reply to
Big Daddy

I think it's more of a 'bobbed' Scrambler, like many offroaders do to them. I wish they would have come out with the Dakar...

Reply to
Big Daddy

...and more flexibility than anything with leaves... :)

Reply to
TJim

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Is it just me, or does the Scrambler appear to be a standard TJ with a crop-top?

Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I wish mine was riveted!

With the glass body on I get 'serious' flex on my frame.

Folks have taken photos of me from the front and my front bumper can be twisted a 'good' 4" compared to my body.

My frame is a 'rust belt special' and the off road flexing is destroying it fast.

I am in immediate danger of having one back shackle and one front spring anchor point on the springs falling off. Already had to beef up one rear front spring anchor big time.

My skid plate rotted off and I lost the tank, wore a hole in it dragging it before I heard it, on one off road trip 'way' back in the bush.

Keeping my eyes open for a good frame....

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
serg

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
Thomas W.

*>

Reply to
Lon Stowell

I must have misread your post. I thought you meant the Scrambler is ugly. The Compass is a joke. There is no way they should call that thing a Jeep!

Reply to
Big Daddy

Reply to
serg

The second row seats (capacity for 4 total passengers) were definitely a factory option. Not sure about the 3rd row seats. (Until recently I would have sworn that was an original option, but some other folks on this message board have proclaimed pretty loudly that the 3rd row seat, as well as the full hardtop, was aftermarket-only.)

Regardless of origin, I have seen a CJ8 with full length hard top and three rows of seats (capacity for 6 passengers,) so it can be done.

Reply to
E.L. Lambert

Thomas,

Yes, the bed looks a little longer in this picture. But it still looks like a 4' bed. If the fender flares are 3' at the bottom (like the CJs), there might be just enough there for another foot. My '82 Scrambler has about a

5' 2" bed with the hard top on (top's off now :).

That being said, I do like the rear opening glass. And it looks as if they sacrificed bed space for interior space. When I put the hard top on my '82, it's, er, cozy in the cab - the seats are nearly up against the rear window. And the wheelbase looks much longer on this newer one, which should give a better ride than any other XJ/CJ/YJ out there.

I'm definitely considering one, but I don't know if I'll get rid of the '82. Looks like I'm going to have to buy a new house :).

Reply to
Michael White