Diesel Liberty

LOL yes, and now I am putting The Flying Circus back on TiVo.

Reply to
Wound Up

This should give a chuckle

Wound Up

Ewan,

Another question: is there a consumer website in the UK that rates these vehicles? We have one here called consumerreports.org but they say they don't have enough data on the diesel liberty. The gas liberty is one of their recommended vehicles.

BTW, I had no idea this question would generate so much conversation ;-)

Thanks!

Mark

Ewan Scott wrote:

Reply to
Mark Perrin

That's because we don't have many diesel engine small vehicles in the United States, where the majority of posters live. (Canada is a protectorate of the United States.) Many of the posters here too pretend to be great off roaders, and the Liberty's IFS is theoretically a disadvantage off road. Personally, I suspect that many of the vehicles you see in the United States, with big, burly tires and lift kits like a set of six inch heels, never leave pavement. Most of the comment in this thread has been exactly what you will be, if you elect to buy a diesel Liberty, blowing smoke.

By the way, have you ever heard the Spanish try to pronounce "diesel"?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I was sitting in the doctor's office about three weeks ago and came upon an article where they compared some SUVs. There were 4 in the pack, one a Liberty, one the Exterra, another an Hummer and the fourth some bohemian Honda I think.

The Liberty did not fare well. It came out second to last in the group. I sure wish I could remember what mag it was in.

At the end of the day though all of the articles and reviews don't mean squat. They are based on one person's opinion, not yours. WHen I read the article, I was driving a Liberty and I thought to myself "those guys have no idea what the hell they are talking about when it comes to this vehicle."

If it is what you REALLY want then you should have it.

Reply to
Kate

Kate,

These magazine guys have the advantage, that they haven't spent a pile of --their own money-- on the vehicle in question. They can be assumed to be relatively free from denial, and one can maybe trust them to be a little more objective than you were about your baby. On the other hand, one knows that they take bribes and all sorts of perks from the manufacturers, so it all kind of evens out. Still, it --never-- hurts to seek a second opinion. Of course, if my wife had listened to second opinions, she never would have married me. (Most of the second opinions came from people, who have since been divorced, some of them bitterly, for decades now. Heh, heh.)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

The only thing most vehicle magazines are good for is the ads, so you know what's on sale, and who has it.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Good for Mrs. Earle!

I always feel that getting a second opinion is a good way to confirm what you already believe. Whether the 2nd opinion agrees with yours or not.

;-)

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Reply to
philthy

Can't say the same about my Ford, but they are two different kinds of animal...

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

The VW Golf from Avis that I drove in Spain was barely audible, except when accelerating. The smell was not noticeable, except when it was warming up in the morning, as I stood next to the tail pipe, packing my bags in the trunk. I have heard and smelled gasoline engines that were more obnoxious. I had no idea that the Smart cars were diesels, until I stood next to one as it accelerated from a stop.

They are never going to be as quiet as a similar sized gasoline engine, but as I have said numerous times before the real obstacle to diesel acceptance is political.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

I think the real obstacle to acceptance is the memory of the GM diesels of the 80's

"Earle Horton" >

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Bill,

That's politics too. I'll bet that California legislation can be greased even easier than Colorado legislation, when the time comes for it.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Or mini-trucks with four cylinder diesels, that couldn't even get out of their own way. Or the Diesel Cherokee. Or the diesel Vanagon, a real disaster that could barely do 55, except downhill. (And a downhill run of any length would blow the engine.)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to