intermittent electrical problem

Hi,

My '97 GC has an intermittent problem with the ignition. Occasionally, it seems that no power gets to the starter when turning the ignition key. The starter does not spin at all. Usually, I can turn the key a second time, and the jeep starts fine. I know it could be the ignition switch, the starter, or perhaps the starter solenoid. Are there any relays I need to check, such as in the power distribution center? I wish I could tap on the starter or starter solenoid when this happens, but no one is ever around that could do this while I am holding the key... The ground straps are clean and tight. Any ideas? I'm afraid I may just have to wait until it is more that just an intermittent problem...I really don't want to get stuck somewhere.

thanks

cal

Reply to
Cal

Sometimes you can ID your bad connection by heat. If you try it a couple times and it doesn't go, get out and feel the main battery cables at the ends. The hot one will be the dirty one. (caution, it can be hot enough to burn sometimes)

You could have a starter wearing out, but the odds are better one of those main connections that looks fine is corroded where you can't see it.

Mike

Cal wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain