Early series XJ front door hinge breakage tip

If you own an early (pre-Mopar, I think) XJ then you may have, if not already, door hinges that have broken loose from the door frame.

The cause is from the bean counters, most likely, saying the weld on the fourth side of the hinge ... the door opening side, was more expensive than seam sealer ... even thought the jig locating it probably would not have prevented welding ... wire and CO2 are just so expensive . . . .

The bad part is they could have left holes in the body skin metal for the hinge mounts and welded to the heavier gauge "A" pillar substructure

My 89 has that problem, soon to be welded back on, on the driver's door.

Over a year ago, to slow down the breakage, I loosened the upper hinge from the door proper to gain room, drilled thru the hinge into the door frame with a bit sized for tapping 3/8" threads (5/16") then carefully drilled a clearance hole in the hinge only (I went with 7/16" for a bit of adjustment room).

Then I ran a 3/8" NC tap into the holes drilled and cut threads but you could also run a dog point self-tap body bolt in as well.

This "temporary" repair has held up in daily driving and some light off -roading until a month ago when the hinge finally broke off completely.

But the bolt kept the door from coming loose enough to do damage to the other hinge or fall off completely, but I'll be welding up both hinges.

Reply to
Budd Cochran

I guess I got lucky. My pre-MOPAR (88) MJ rolled down the drive when the parking brake cable snapped. Not too bad - it stopped about 6 feet up the neighbors driveway but... I had the hood up and the door open. The drivers side door caught the big tree at the end of my drive and got folded back far enough to bend the hinge strap. That's one hefty piece of steel! I had to heat it good and hot to bend it back and still didn't pop it loose from the frame. I could just see me trying to weld that sucker back with a gas rig and all that plastic/flamable crap so close but I lucked out. Used an 18" Cresent wrench for leverage and it bent back as perfectly. The new door fit like a charm.

Reply to
whonea

Both the 88 and my 89 had the driver's door check strap broken, which may be a factor, but the 88 didn't have a hinge problem.

Then it also it could be the welder at the plant didn't do a very good job either . . .

My son and I are pulling the door Thursday and then welding everywhere we can reach with my genuine $90 Harbor Freight fluxcore wire welder

To keep the sparks in check I'm duct taping sheet metal to the "A" pillar and door opening to deflect them away from flammables ... but we'll have the garden hose handy just in case.

Budd

Reply to
Budd Cochran