Emissions Maint Message

A red warning light go on in the dash of my 89 YJ came on this morning, it says "emmis maint".

The YJ has 140,000 miles on the OD but runs great, no change since the warning came on.

There are no Jeep literate mechanics and the only dealership is over 60 miles away.

Anyone have any idea what this might be?

I hate to make a 120 mile round trip to have a filter changed that I could do myself.

Reply to
Don

Don did pass the time by typing:

It's a reminder lamp and doesn't indicate anything other than elapsed miles since it was last reset. The reminder is it's time to check/change the O2 sensor, Cat, etc.

If a local shop has a DRB scantool they can reset the indicator. Or you can pull the bulb.

Reply to
DougW

That's a mileage timer trying to convince you to go spend money at the dealer.

On an 89 it is a small box on the right side of the steering column under the dash and just needs to be unplugged..., or replaced so it goes of in another 80K or so. It isn't programmable. If you have cruise, it is under the cruise module.

Mike

Mike Romain

DougW did pass the time by typing:

NM. It's a hardware doodad as per the other reply.

Reply to
DougW