Etymology of Jeep - Best I've seen yet ...

After reading Twaldron's post in the horsepower thread, I saw in his sig something about Jeep standing for "G.P." I did a project on this about 6 years ago for a school assignment and found this to be a false etymology. Just to refresh my memory I did a search on the origin and found the most comprehensive site I've ever seen on the word "Jeep". It was a very interesting read and definitely one for Bill's link-list.

That guy really did his homework! Those other two "Jeeps" (Bantam and Ford) look pretty cool. I wonder if anyone (Bill?) has any pics or info of anyone owning one of these and using it on the trail. I'm too lazy to search for it myself, but maybe someone else can dig something up.

Cheers.

Reply to
griffin

I'm not convinced. He may have done his homework, but he completely fails to mention that the 'GP' in question has nothing to do with 'General Purpose', but is the internal model designation used by Ford as stated in Twaldron's sig.

There is a webpage somewhere with a scan of an old document that clearly shows the Willys designed 4x4s built by Ford under license were designated GP.

Reply to
Preston Kemp

I don't know any of that, but GP means general purpose. In Army lingo, the Jeep was called, Vehicle, General Purpose, or GP, pronounced jeep.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Erm, well... No. The "GP" as it applied to certain WWII 1/4 ton scout cars was Ford's designation for the vehicle that they built, not the Army's. The "G" stood for "Government contract" the "P" for 80" wheelbase and, in the GPW, the "W" stood for Willys-designed powerplant. The generic term "jeep" was in use as military slang for certain vehicles long before Bantam/Willys/Ford's creation, and long before Seagar's Eugene.

From a dictionary published in 1944 (making it a period cite), with a special section on "War Words" (notice that it covers a range of vehicles):

Jeep n. (slang) nickname for the small 1/2 ton and the smaller 1/4 ton command-reconnaissance car now replacing to a great extent the functions of the cavalry. Some army outfits distinguish between the two sizes by calling the smaller vehicles "peeps" and the larger ones are then called "jeeps." Also called jeep buggy and blitz buggy. See PEEP and SCOUT CAR.

Peep n. nickname for the small 1/4 ton scout or reconnaissance military motor vehicle which holds and can be lifted by four men, who carry rifles and a machine gun. It covers rough ground rapidly and has a speed of sixty miles per hour on good roads. Also called bantam, midget, or son of a jeep. See JEEP and SCOUT CAR.

Scout car n. a small, light, partially armored auto -- with great cross-country mobility limited only by unfavorable terrain -- employed by cavalry for transporting men and weapons and for reconnaissance and patrol; it carries five men, four machine guns and a radio sending and receiving set. See JEEP and PEEP.

Sea jeep n. (slang) popular nickname for U.S. Army amphibious armored motor vehicle -- powered by a gasoline engine, carrying a crew of eight, and capable of operations on land and in water -- being used especially to force river crossings. Official name: Aqua Cheetah.

The cover of my reprint copy of "TM9-803 War Department Technical Manual" (February 1944) says "1/4-ton 4x4 Truck (Willys-Overland Model MB and Ford Model GPW)", not General Purpose. It _does_ say:

  1. DESCRIPTION. a. Type. This vehicle is a general purpose, personnel, or cargo carrier especially adaptable for reconnaisance or command, and is designated as 1/4-ton 4x4 Truck. [...]

I always figured that Twaldron was simply engaging in some playful trawling with his sig.

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Lee Ayrton wrote: (sNIP'd some good info)

Which part? ;)

Reply to
twaldron

But the US army has been around a lot longer than you Bill. That website made it pretty clear the jeep name was used for army vehicles before you were even born, much less in the army.

Wblane

[snip]

Ummm... The OBVIOUS part? |-)

-- "I defer to your plainly more vivid memories of topless women with whips....r" R. H. Draney recalls AFU in the Good Old Days.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Well, actually, I think my sig is accurate.

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
twaldron

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Is that the Dave Barry that writes newspaper columns? If so ...that guy kills me ...man he's funny.

Reply to
griffin

Reply to
twaldron