evaporation Cannister

where can I find an evaporation canister (also heard it called a charcol cannister)for an 85 CJ7

Apparently I need to replace mine. Am I stuck going to a Jeep dealer?

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Jim85CJ did pass the time by typing:

try

That is a dealer but with much better pricing.

You could find one in a junkyard but then you get what you get. ITEM YEAR LIST PAY VAPOR CANISTER, 2.5L 84-86 $96.00 $76.80 VAPOR CANISTER, 2.8L 84-86 $139.00 $111.20 VAPOR CANISTER, 4.2L 84-90 $63.50 $50.80 VAPOR CANISTER, 5.9L 84-91 $63.50 $50.80

You should also try the dealer. Just ask for their "best price" and sometimes you can get close enough to online+shipping.

Reply to
DougW

Mike Romain -- You mentioned (when discussing oil in the air filter): "Then trace the line to the T fitting or solenoid behind the carb. The solenoid is a failed design and is recalled. The fix is a T fitting.

From this part, trace the other line to the top of the charcoal canister. At idle pinch this line to the canister closed. If the idle changes, the canister is shot."

I pinched that line with the engine idling (but cold) and the idle went up. Today, after driving about 40 minutes, I pinched the line and the idle didn't do anything. In your opinion, is the canister shot or not??? I do get suction at the PCV valvebut I'm not sure if it's enough. If the canister is shot, can I bypass it? If so, how?

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Lets start off by asking if you have a t-fitting or a solenoid behind the carb on the PCV lines.

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jim85CJ

The reason I am asking is your description sounds like maybe a dead canister with the solenoid still functioning.

The canister gets its purge signal from a ported vacuum nipple via the CTO valve and should only be turned on when hot and at speed.

The sucking cold and not hot sounds like the solenoid is all that is 'turning on or off' the canister or it could just be the computer adjusting the mix for suction levels.

This could mean the purge valve is shot which can piss an amazing amount of oil into the air filter. Putting a 'T' fitting in will allow you to find out for sure.

There is no way to 'bypass' the canister. You can just vent the gas tank to the open air in a pinch, but that creates bad fumes.

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Thanks mike... I'll put in a T when I can find the time to get under the hood and let you know the results. Should I do the pinch test hot or cold or both?

Is the purge valve part of the cannister?

Mike Roma> The reason I am asking is your description sounds like maybe a dead

Reply to
Jim85CJ

It makes no real matter if you test it hot or cold, just do it at idle.

The purge valve is on top of the canister and is a round button like thing with one vacuum line going to it. it has a 5 cent piece of rubber in it that tears killing the canister.

I am not so sure yours is dead. That solenoid could be causing all the oil blow. There also is a molded elbow back there near the valve cover. It is rubber and gets soft with oil and can collapse under suction shutting off the PCV as well.

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Reply to
Jim85CJ

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Mike, I'm thinking at this point I do not have a PCV issue. The PCV valve rattles, there is no solenoid (T fitting in place), the "pinch test" on the cannister passes, there is suction at the PCV valve. Assuming the PCV system is fine, what am I looking at now? Is this a sign of "blow-by"? Are my rings shot? What else can I check for? I do notice that when I pull the PCV breather out, I get steam/smoke coming out of the valve cover and it is blowing out hard.

Mike Roma> It makes no real matter if you test it hot or cold, just do it at idle. >

Reply to
Jim85CJ

I couldn't tell you if they were... I found it here:

here:
They call it the "decel valve" I assumed it stood for "deceleration valve"

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Jim85CJ

You are correct.

Reply to
bllsht

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
Jim85CJ

That means you have the pulse air tube type of emissions, right? The thing with the two tubes coming out of the cat going into the bottom of the air filter right?

Are you set up exactly like the vac-mcu.gif?

If that is the case, then you have one more place to pinch a line. At idle pinch the line going into the decel valve from the PCV.

Mike

Jim85CJ wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

"Are you set up exactly like the vac-mcu.gif?" Exactly? Maybe? I think it's close at least :-)

"At idle pinch the line going into the decel valve from the PCV." Will do. I do know that yesterday, at idle, I pulled that line and the idle went nuts.

Mike Roma> That means you have the pulse air tube type of emissions, right? The

Reply to
Jim85CJ