Lubricate / restore dried out rubber seals

Is there a way to at least partially restore the flexibility and appearance of a black rubber window seal that has become dried out with age? Thanks.

Reply to
Papa

I actually need to replace mine. They dried to the point where the driver and passenger side exterior seals have cracked and separated. The resulting gap lets in a lot of wind-noise.

Anyone know where to find these (online, preferably) rather than going to the dealer?

Thanks, david

email address: replace 'spam' with 'david'

Reply to
FlyingDog

Jim B.

Reply to
jimbehning

You can *try* smearing them with some hand cleaner with lanolin (but not pumice or any other abrasives) and letting the stuff soak in to try to restore some flexibility; I know that that works well with upholstery vinyl and leather. I don't hold out a whole lot of hope that that would save a seriously dried out piece of weatherstrip however.

You can lengthen the life of rubber seals that *are* in good condition by periodically (once or twice a year) wiping on a light coat of syl-glide or spray silicone.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Great advice. Thanks, Nate.