91 Ranger - Any Benefit Going to Dual Exhaust?

I've got a 91 Ranger with California emissions. Is there any benefit to be gained from going to dual exhaust? I assume to do so would require changing the exhaust manifold, adding a second cat and all the plumbing. All advice welcome.

Jack.

Reply to
Jack M. King

Chicks will dig you, men will fear you, and you'll get more tail than a young Frank Sinatra. =`;^>

Not necessarily; you could split the pipe behind the cat. Not what most would think of when as "dual exhaust," but it happens, I guess, for example Super Duty pickup with Power Stroke Diesel may be split off downstream of the turbo exhaust to give the look of dual exhausts.

What benefit you looking for? Better looks? Better sound? Better performance? CA smogability?

-- frosty

Reply to
frosty

Hi Jack, I think it depends on your objective. If you want your truck to look cool with big duel pipes chugging out the back... scaring Hondas and Kias out of their computers, that's different than for the reason of performance.

For pure performance, in the old days, you could just pop in split exhaust manifolds, two glass packs and two pipes out the back and rumble... with low back pressure..

But now... some shops will do it for you but most are afraid to mess with removing the cat - especially in smog states.. What some do is to torch out everything after the cat and weld in a "Y" at the output of the cat. Then a new pipe to each side of the "Y" going to two new mufflers and out with two new tailpipes.

Thus you still have the orginal manifolds going into one cat and out to duels. Some would argue that the new duels reduce back pressure on the system better than the original single muffler. I agree that it does reduce it somewhat but not like a good old fashioned split manifold. However from the outside viewpoint, you would have duel pipes and great sounds... Will it pay for itself in MPG or better performance? I doubt it... Will it add charm and appeal to the truck... yep...

I would figure on about $250 to $300 for new duels on the single cat. If you do want to split the manifold and double the cat, I would first find out if your smog regulations allow it. Then plan on $500 or more.

Reply to
gtrew