Gas tank blues

My two year old steel gas tank from J.C. Whitney has rusted through ! It's due to mud being trapped between the tank and the skid plate. But wouldn't you think it would last longer than that? Made in Canada. Looks exactly like the one in the 4WheelDrive catalog. Exactly.

I'll be ordering a poly tank now.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Burns

I hope it will last longer than that. I just installed the tank from

4wd.com two weeks ago. I kept my old one. Wasn't rusted through as I thought (surface rust i guess). I'll be pissed if the new rusts through. It was a pain in the butt to install.
Reply to
Paul Brogren

Paul Brogren ( snipped-for-privacy@msn.com) wrote on Saturday 11 October 2003 11:46 pm:

I covered mine in that rubberized undercoating. Of cousrse, living in Ft. Worth, Texas, rust doesn't take the toll that it does up north.

Reply to
Michael White

I should have told everyone where I lived. Northern Louisiana. So salt wasn't the issue. And it's in a 82 CJ5.

Michael, That was a good move covering it with the undercoating. I wish I had.

Paul, I know you don't want to hear this but...If I were you I'd pull that tank and paint it or something.

Hopefully mine just had a bad coating. Looking inside the tank it looks to have a galvanized finish. The inside still looks like new.

Why it is getting to be so hard to find well made car parts???

Mark Burns

11:46 pm: > > > I hope it will last longer than that.  I just installed the tank from > > 4wd.com two weeks ago. > > I kept my old one.  Wasn't rusted through as I thought (surface rust i > > guess).  I'll be pissed if the new rusts through.  It was a pain in the > > butt to install. > > I covered mine in that rubberized undercoating.  Of cousrse, living in Ft. > Worth, Texas, rust doesn't take the toll that it does up north. > -- > Michael White         "To protect people from the effects of folly is to >             &nbs p;          fill the world with fools." -Herbert Spencer, 1891
Reply to
Mark Burns

I may drop mine and do the coating thing.

Reply to
Paul Brogren