Kilby gas skid recommended

Jeepers:

It finally stopped raining long enough for me to install a new Kilby gas skid plate on my '90 YJ. This is not a rock crawler, so I choked a little on the price of the Kilby, but the stock plate was almost rusted through and the Kilby looked like a quality unit.

Well, after finishing the install I whole-heartedly recommend this skid! It fit like a glove-- I mean, PERFECT. The actual install is easy and fairly pain-free, except that the exhaust tailpipe has to come out if it is located in the stock position. Otherwise, the gas tank hits the pipe when lowering and raising the tank/skid unit. I lost a couple of hours fiddling with the exhaust components in an effort to save good parts, but otherwise the install was hitch-free.

The new skid looks great, and I'm sure it will last longer than the remainder of my lifetime! Anyone who needs a new skid should look into the Kilby.

John Painter

Reply to
J. Painter

I have the same to say. Bet you could even jack under it, maybe in a pinch.

Reply to
Jeepers

so what do you do with the tail pipe?

will

Reply to
<LAFFERTY

I should have been clearer with my statement: the tailpipe needs to be removed just for the purposes of dropping the tank. Once the new Kilby skid is bolted up, the stock location of the tail pipe (in between the leaf springs and the skid side) can be utilized again. Incidentally, the stock pipe CAN be removed and reinstalled without dropping the track bar or the leaf spring shackle, but MAN, there is only one specific series of twists that will do it!

J.

Reply to
J. Painter

Been there done that...

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

Body lift wasn't necessary for my '00 but I noticed that my gas gauge never went up to Full after the install, so I put in a 1" body lift, worked great after that.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

So far as I know, you just cant go wrong with Kilby's stuff. Its all fit perfect on my TJ...and the only problems were from me not understanding the install instructions. I've got the gas tank skid, the interior gear rack, and the dual battery tray. More to come in the future I am sure. Had his onboard air been around and well tested when I first had onbaord air put in, I would probably have his too.

Reply to
jbjeep