Going to look at a '76 CJ5

1976 Jeep CJ5, blue, 304 V8, 3-speed, new top, full doors & half doors, Flowmaster exhaust, new gas tank & speedometer, runs well.

I talked to the guy on the phone and he says he's owned it two years. Never took it offroad, but has checked the 4WD out and says it works fine. Has been storing it in his garage. No suspension or powertrain mods. It's a 3.5 hour drive for me to go see it. Sounds like a really good deal to me.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Travis, ask him about body and frame rust. You might also want to do a vacuum gauge analysis and a compression check when you go look at it. That'll tell you allot about the condition of the engine.

Reply to
TJim

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:19:05 -0400, "TJim" shared the following:

I asked him about that on the phone. He said no rust to speak of except behind the back seat there's a spot that looks like it could be easily fixed.

I've got a compression checker I could carry with me...but...

'm not certain the threads will fit. I'll carry it along and see.Should I check with the engine cold and the coil wire removed, justhave them crank the engine over 3-4 times? What kind of PSI should Ibe looking for at a minimum? Thanks.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 11:30:25 -0400, travis shared the following:

(By "cold" I mean run it 20 seconds or so to get the oil circulating correctly and then shutting it down, pulling the coil, and doing the compression test at that point.)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

No. Compression checks are done with the engine hot.

You're not looking for a certain psi, you're looking for consistency... if they're all the same, then great. The coil wire should be shorted to ground, not just removed. The spark will try to go home, and cause problems. The voltage will rise *much* higher than normal, with wire unhooked.

If you've never done a compression check, then in front of the seller isn't the right time, IMO, to learn how. Take it to a registered mechanic, have it checked out. Then *his* ass is on the line if it blows up. I'd sure be leery of letting you do one on a vehicle *I* was selling... and I'd worry about a seller that let me! __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Should work - remember: wide open throttle while cranking. You just want to make sure all cylinders are within 10 PSI or so. There's all sorts of other info to be gleaned from the test but even compression (at a reasonable value) is the basic one.

Reply to
Will Honea

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 10:18:26 -0400, travis shared the following:

puff puff! pant pant! Just got off of the phone with the owner of this Jeep again. I'm so worried something will go wrong with this deal. He said he's ready for me to come by and see it tomorrow morning. Gonna leave at about

7:30am... should get there around 11... and should be back home by 4pm tomorrow at the latest.... Hopefully with a "new" Jeep. WOOT WOOT!

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Sounds like a decent deal...hope he doesn't want a fortune. Took me about 3 to 4 months of looking before finding mine and I'm glad I took the time to really look hard. If it isn't what you want do buy it is my only suggestion.

Reply to
Casey Teague

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:17:32 -0500, "Casey Teague" shared the following:

$3,500 OBO...

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Sat, 18 Oct 2003 00:17:32 -0500, "Casey Teague" shared the following:

Hey, Casey. I was just looking over your site. Nice CJ5 you have there. That diamond-plate dash... Doesn't the sun ever reflect off of it and kinda blind you? I mean it looks nice in the pictures but I'd be worried I'd get too much of a glare off of something like that to do it.