Goofy electrical Problem needs Help

I get this intermitantly, I wonder if anyone can help ?

'97 TJ Sahara in otherwise great condition. Every now and then when I turn the key the Jeep starts and the tape deck goes into fastforward ! Pretty annoying. Only fix is on/off, on/off until it turns over without tripping the cassette player.Player and all wiring is original stock. I know I could trash the player, but I'd like to fix the problem. Is this a known issue ? I've heard '97 TJ's do have problems with console electronics. Thoughts?

THX.,

Andrew

Reply to
Reticulum

might be that the ignition switch is arcing between the run position and start position...the player reads this as a fast forward signal...and does its thing...try spraying the switch with a NON-FLAMEABLE electronic spray cleaner...Gene 75 cj-5 (orignal owner), w/tbi & hei

Reply to
Moggy2cat

Does the same happen if the AM/FM Cassette unit is powered off?

Reply to
Mike Hall

Yes. The ON/OFF for the unit has nothing to do with beginning or ending the problem as near as I can tell. Moving the ignition switch from Start back to Acces. does not help either. Also clutch IN or Out, no effect. I don't really know if it's fastforward or reverse, it just starts ripping away at full speed until the engine is shut off. Neither can I see any link to bad weather, tape loaded or not. I have no aftermarket CD or Graphic Eq. Just the plain stock AM/FM Cass. Darn Annoying !

Andrew

Reply to
Reticulum