Track bar help on CJ

I need some Track bar help for my CJ

Friday my track bar came lose (thank god I was in a parking lot). Got a new nut and put it back, then I realized nether driver or passenger had the cotter pin. So I was pretty disappointed.

Question: how tight doses one need to get the track bar bolts? Just tight enough to get the cotter pin in? or as tight as I can?

Question 2: the passenger side seems good and tight / solid but the bolt turns with the nut. I could not tell (dressed for work with a flashlight a night) if there was something underneath the track bar that needs me to hold it while I tighten the top? Any help is great.

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

I really don't know what part you are talking about....

A CJ doesn't have a track bar....

Mike

Evan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I think he means the sway bar.

Reply to
Gerald G. McGeorge

Track Bar on a CJ? I think not. What you have is a sway bar, and it is on the front axle. The Track Bar gets mounted on the rear axle, and it does a different job than the sway bar.

In any case, this is not a show stopper, that is you can safely drive the vehicle if you are careful. I have been driving my CJ for nearly 6 years without the swaybar, I am pretty sure you can do it for a few days while you round up the parts you need.

Reply to
CRWLR

my bad, my head was up my but.

Tie Rod. . .

Tie Rod came lose.

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

That's butt.

You need a navelectomy, this is where the doctors put a window in your navel so you can see where you are goiong when your head is up your butt.

The Tie Rod came lose?! Well, that changes things a little bit, you have to fix this before you can drive down to the parts counter du jour for another basket 'o parts. Most of us curse and swear at these things to get them to let go, your's just falls off. Jeez, for having your head up your ass, you live well. ;-)

There are several of these, my advise is to replace them all, and keep the ones that come off as spares. There is a torque spec for these, but I don't recall what it is, but the cotter pin ought to keep the nuts on.

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

That's what happened,

Lets start over there was no cotter pin, and the bolt came off, so the tie rod end dropped out of the socket. My concern is that to bolt turns with the nut as you tighten it, there is so much crud, I can't determine if there is a way to secure it from underneath

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

Cranial anal impaction.

Reply to
Jeepers

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Like Bill says, use a jack.

You might need to get a can of brake cleaner or use a pile of mineral spirits and get everything grease free. Then sometimes a light thump with a chunk of 2x4 will set the cone back in enough for it to grab. A clean with sand paper will help too, it leaves grit that can help the cone grab.

I have even just hand thumped them a couple times that worked.

Don't use a hammer on the tie rode end, the cap there will blow in and jam the ball socket. A 2x4 under a hammer is fine.

Mike

Evan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain