hood lock

Hi, Can anyone recommend a good hood lock for my jeep? Also any shop that might install it in the NYC area? Manhattan preferably..

I used to have one with an ignition killer switch but my lock smith broke it. Now I have to find someone to remove the old one without messing up my electronics and put a new one in. thanks

Reply to
Jacek A. Ponarski

You didn't say what model of Jeep you have..

There aren't any good ones for the TJ / YJ as far as I know. There are basically two types made - one which replaces the outer catches, and one which goes around the release lever at the front. The first variety looks slightly unsightly, not that I care, but is not made of hardened steel, so small bolt cropper would crop it easily. The one I have is the second variety, and I could remove with my bare hands if I was too lazy to give it a good smack with a screwdriver to drive out the barrel. Guess it depends what you mean by "good". I guess both will act as a visual deterrent, and might deter the kiddies. If you mean a well engineered solution, forget it.

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

to go one better.. any of the external fender top ones sold can simply be unscrewed from under the fender.. thats how i opened my hood after losing the key to them lol..

as for a good lock mechanism, i have on my current ride, one from DEI (viper

500ES alarm system) - i know they sell the module separately, however i am unsure whether it can be independantly operated.. i believe so - it just has 2 wires, a positive and a negative ground as the trigger.

whereabouts in nyc? im in brooklyn myself.

-Steve 98 TJ

Reply to
Goat Crapp

Jeez, these things are the simplest thing in the world to install. Why pay someone to do it??? I had one of the simple hood catch mechanisms for my TJ, and a similar kind of latch locking mechanism for my CJ. Both were about $20 in the Quadratec catalog (quadratec.com.)

The TJ one fit right in with about 15 seconds labor. The CJ took about 20 minutes since the aftermarket radiator on my customized rig took up too much room and wouldn't let me slide it between the grill slots like the instructions said to do. Instead, I had to duck tape the lock to a stick, then get on my back under the jeep, and lift it up into position from the underside. Took a few tries and the damn tape kept coming loose, but not a difficult job by any means.

The TJ lock wasn't super sturdy and probably could have been forced open by a determined thief. But I was mainly trying to keep out vandals and opportunistic amateurs. I figure any professional thief who really wanted it would just steal the whole damn vehicle and worry about the hood lock later. In comparison to the TJ lock, the CJ lock seems pretty darn bulletproof.

I have never seen one rigged up electronically to an alarm, and frankly I'm not sure I would want that. In my experience, the more unnecessary wires you have running around the engine compartment, the more likely something's going to short out and cause you trouble on the trail. Any impact sensor on any decent alarm is going to detect a hood being opened anyway, so why bother?

While we're on the topic, is anyone aware of a CJ7 radiator screen which is compatible with the hood locks? I have yet to see one. I'd like both, but since I have to choose, I've reluctantly chosen the lock.

Reply to
sm3gurpal