Ford Escape dies when I Reverse

I am having a problem with my '03 Ford Escape where it dies when I shift it into reverse. It doesn't do it every time probably 2 out of 5 times. I brought it into the ford dealership to have them look at it but of course it didn't do it while it was in the shop so they just checked the throttle-body, fuel injectors and changed the fuel filter,

3 days after I got it back from the shop it started doing it again. Any ideas?
Reply to
richard.marlatt

Does this only happen when going into reverse, or do you only notice it because it only happens in the morning after the truck sat overnight and you have to back out of your driveway? Thus the problem is that it happens overnight when you put the truck in gear, not particularly reverse. More details.

Reply to
Mike H

It only happens in reverse and it doesn't have to be in the morning, it will do it while I am in town as well pulling out of a parking spot.

Thanks Rich

Reply to
richard.marlatt

On Feb 2, 12:54 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote: ...

Have you been able to isolate if the vehicle needs to be cold, warm, hot, or really can and has happened at any time? It sounds like an issue related to the engine not adjusting idle quick enough due to changes in load. Why reverse only? My guess is it's just because when you're in reverse you're more apt to be moving very slowly and turning the wheel at the same time with your foot on the brake.

Does that vehicle have a tachometer? If so, try and monitor that when you have problems and notice if the tach drops below it's normal idle speed just before it dies.

Reply to
Mike H

Ok so over the weekend I drove my wifes escape around some more and it seems to be the idle. when the car is shifted into reverse the idle drops but if quickly I place my foot gently on the gas it raises the RPMs and it doesn't die. While playing around with it it actually does the same when shifting from reverse to drive. if I don't give it gas soon enough then the tachometer drops and the car dies. Rich

Reply to
richard.marlatt

That sounds to me like the IACV (Idle Air Control Valve) is stuck and not adjusting for the change of RPM's.

Ford tech

Reply to
Ford Tech