Jeep Starting Question ?

I have a 2000 JGC, with V-8. During the last month or so, I sometimes get a very brief "hesitation" when I turn the key to start the engine. During this millisecond-type interval, there is no sound. No click, no grinding, no sound. Starter not turning over/ no sound. Then, the starter kicks in and the engine turns over rapidly, and always starts very well.

Do I have a starter going bad ? Any thing else to watch out for ?

Thanks !!

James

Reply to
James

A *good* description of the vehicle (transmission, options, etc.) will always help get a better answer.

For example, is it an automatic? If so, maybe the neutral safety switch.

Reply to
PeterD

Reply to
Hughes TrollKiller of scums 24bit & squarewheel

Is the engine hot, cold. Is it dry or rainy.

The computer is waiting for sensors to stablize before starting. Pull the codes (preferably with a scantool) and see if there are any fault codes.

It's a good time to slowly go though the connectors. Just disconnect and reconnect them. Spray contact-cleaner works but just make sure you don't get any on the paint. It's real good paint remover too.

To reset the Jeep computer, disconnect the positive terminal from the battery and wait about 10-20 min. Of course you will have to reprogram the radio, seats, etc. But that will clear the computer and allow it to relearn. For the next few trip drive in a "relaxed" mode. i.e. no jack-rabbit starts. Just a few trips on the interstate and some residential will allow the computer to re-learn the sensors.

Reply to
DougW