Jeep Tech: Tips for taking apart a front end.

Hey ppl!

I have an 53' M38A1 Jeep. It isn't so military anymore though. It is painted blue now. The engine has been replaced with a 225 Buick V6 odd fire engine. The jeep has a spring-over and 35in tires as well.

Now that we know about the vehicle, here comes the stumper. I am looking into what is involved in disassembling the front hubs and axles. I took the brake drums off to do a restration on them only to find that there was water in the left hub. Now I am thinkining it would be prudent to tear the front end apart further to make sure I don't have any water where it shouldn't be!

From what I have gathered, it appears to be the origional front end. It

is a rockwell design with locking front hubs.

Any insight on what is involved to take front end apart would help!

I have a part explosion photocopied from an old universal jeep manual. My hope is that the rebuild will involve nothing more than new hand-made gaskets and some new grease after everything is cleaned off. I am not sure if new bearings are involved, or if they are available on today's market. If you have any information to help with this project, post away!

-DMaster

Reply to
DMaster

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III