Kinda OT: Getting old and feeling it

Get your drink back from your damn cat!

Chris

OK, I'm just uh...middle-aged no matter what my kids say, but I've gotten to where I can "feel it" a couple of days after some hard wrenching on my vehicle. Hands get all swollen up and stiff and my back just about kills me for a couple of days (at least) after. Like the body lift I put on Saturday. I worked on that from about 10am until 6pm or so and I still feel it. A guy at work said he doses up to about 600mg of ibuprofen before woing anything like I do and takes

600mg during his activity and then goes down to about 400mg after it's all over with. I don't wanna be a druggie, but am considering the ibuprofen idea. What do y'all do to "get over it" after hours of working on your rides? I kinda thought when I finally got a compressor and air tools that I'd never be sore from working on a vehicle again, but it ain't workin' out that way.

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

As many of you know I am in nursing school. I once cared for a lady who took too much ibuprofen over a long period of time and wound up in the hospital with a colostomy. Ibuprofen is great stuff, but always take food with it and do not get into a pattern of taking it on a regular basis. If you feel that you need ibuprofen every day you either need to stop doing that or see a doc who specializes in treatment for chronic pain.

I would not take as much ibuprofen as your friend suggests except on the advice of a physician to treat an acute inflammatory condition. For the sorts of activity you are talking about I might take one tablet.

I am paying the guy around the corner to put spring bushings on my Suburban. He's young and in need of money and can handle it.

There is a pharmacist in here who might say something...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:02:48 GMT, "c" shared the following:

*chuckle*

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

I currently am forced to take a 400 mg or the 600 before doing any bending and pointing helping folks that are wrenching. It does work.

I am still recovering from an accident so I am taking 400- 800 a day, but even before I would use a 200 mg sometimes if the job was going to have me in strange positions.

That stuff works well for muscles in low doses.

I for sure don't heal up as fast it seems or I notice the bumps and bruises and reaches more... ;-)

Mike

travis wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

As I understand it, you have been wasting perfectly good liquor on your cat. Have you considered that it might be useful for rehabilitation after several hours in the garage?

Reply to
CRWLR

Approximately 11/24/03 14:06, travis uttered for posterity:

Ordinary aspirin and ibuprofen are both good anti-inflammatories. Never tried taking any before the activity, but have noticed that as more and more parts creak [mine, not the vehicle] taking 2 aspirin or 1 ibuprofen before bedtime helps a bit with what can charitably called "morning after wrenching" hangover. Altho it seems counterintuitive, taking a nice hot bath right after working, no matter how good it feels, can make it worse by causing swelling. However, darned if I'll use ice like pro athletes do.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 15:11:33 -0800, "CRWLR" shared the following:

Heh heh. I wish I could be accused of NOT trying to have a drink or 8 for medicinal purposes only (As Dr McCoy would have said), but...

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:17:14 GMT, Lon Stowell shared the following:

Yeah, I tried taking a hot bath in the whirlpool tub thingie the morning after and just wound up making a big mess. It's only the third or fourth time I've used it (normally I take a shower so don't be funny...heh heh) since we've lived here over a year. Amazing how a tiny bit of bubble stuff can make *that* much bubbles. When I got out, my hands looked like a pair of those "hulk hands" you can buy at a toy store. OW!!!

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis
1/3 - Seagrams Seven 2/3 - 7-up

Take repeatedly until no pain exists, or until you cannot untie your own shoes.

Actually I'm only 29 so wrenching isn't getting to me just yet. Volleyball tournaments and hockey tournaments usually require a few 200mg tablets the next day though.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 16:26:02 -0700, "Kevin Sperle" shared the following:

I turn 36 next month. I didn't start "feeling it" until 3-4 years ago. Get ready. ;-) In the meantime I go for something more like:

2 parts Jim Beam 1 part coke A few ice cubes. Consume until eyes cross. ;-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Alternatively, there is always the 2/3 Seagrams and 1/3 7Up.

Volleyball

Reply to
CRWLR

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Hell, man... I'm only 30 and after 4 hours of wrenchin' I'm in bad shape the next day. What do I do to get over it? Usually it's just my legs that are sore, so I do a couple squats and the pain seems to fade a bit. For hands, i dunno... ice 'em down. Whatever works. n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Actually I hardly ever take any asprin/ibuprofin, usually only after an all day volleyball or hockey tournament (when my knees feel like I'm 103). When I had my leg surgery I took Vicodin for one night then just dealt with it. When I strained my back, that was a different story though.

Vicodin and wine? Sounds like dinner at Liza Minellis.

Reply to
Kevin Sperle

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:17:01 GMT, "Nathan Otis" shared the following:

Ice them down, huh? Maybe if I held onto several ice-cold beers... Hmmm... :-)

-- Travis

meek shall inherit the earth. After I'm finished with it.:wq!

Reply to
travis

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Man... I can't believe there are so many pill poppin' Jeep mechanics! Me... I stick to the hard stuff... Miller Lite, consumed in mass quantities.

-- Jim(Probably older that everyone here except Bill)G

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries

Reply to
JimG

JimG did pass the time by typing:

Its all that stupid things I did as a kid paying me back. Aggrivated by the real stupid things I continue to do.

Reply to
DougW

LOL...

JimG