Looking for Cherokee info

Been looking into picking up a used Cherokee and I was wondering if anyone knew of any wwwsites that give some specs (Select-Trac vs Command-Trac, etc) on the various years. Here in the Denver area, there's a lot of them out there, but I want to have a good grasp on what's *really* out there. I've heard of exhaust manifold issues, just how prevalent are they?

Any advice what to look out for; years/engines/t-cases to avoid or search for is greatly appreciated.

Shamus

Reply to
Shamus in CO

What years/price range were you looking at, so we can narrow it down.

Reply to
Mark12211

Been looking '91 and newer and seem to find a bunch of '96s under $7500. It's the packages that confuse me most; Sport, SE, Country, Classic.

Shamus

Reply to
Shamus in CO

Check this out for package specs.

Here's my opinion: Get a late '91 or newer for the cooling system. Get the automatic with Selec-Trac. It's more versatile - you can use full time 4WD on the road. Get the 4.0 L six. Strong, dependable and long lasting. Get the factory towing package for H-D radiator, transmission cooler, etc. If you get a higher end package, Limited or Country, the desirable options are either standard or more likely to be there. I've got a '91 Limited with 155,000 trouble-free miles. It still runs/looks/drives great.

TrailMarker.

Reply to
TrailMarker

My thoughts:

*Cherokees with lots of options on aren't much more expensive than those that aren't, but aren't as common since people that wanted/could afford that type of stuff tended to by Grands.

*Likewise, the AWD "Select Trac" would be desirable if you could find it, but was also more common on Grands.

*Depending on how you want to use it, skid plates and the limited slip "Trac-Loc" rear differential could be nice.

*Newer Cherokees (After 97?) have a much more refined interior, but seem to be built a little cheaper.

*Avoid the base model, because many of these came without things you really want, like the extra gauges and the inline six engine.

*Stock cooling ain't that great. If you want to tow, definately find one with the towing package.

*Fluid leaks are endemic to this vehicle, and you probably won't find an older one without a few unless the owner has been meticulous. Some (oil filter adapter, valve cover gasket) are a snap to fix. Others (transfer case seals, rear main seal), are a lot harder.

*Another trouble spot on older ones is the cruise control switch. The wires are exposed and are worn by turn signal action, and tend to break internally. The shop had to dismantle my steering wheel to replace the stalk.

*There's no glaring weaknesses that has shown up over time like the Ford Explorer trannies. Like any other vehicle, there's things that are close to perfection (engine and tranny), and things that could be better, or that you personally don't like. A good vehicle is one where you complain that the window switches aren't lighted, not that the engine is a piece of junk.
Reply to
Monte Castleman