Lubing Driveline on a Late-Model XJ...

Okay all you pros: I slid under my '01 xj last night in search of the grease zircs on the u-joints, etc, on the driveline. I know that I'm an ignorant cuss, but damn it all, I looked for fifteen minutes and could not find any other than near the slip joint on the front driveshaft. (I'm not talking about the suspension/steering joints---I found them.)

Can anyone out there in 'net-land start me on the path to enlightenment?

many thanks, john

Reply to
John Red-Horse

Jeep in it's ultimate wisdumb decided you didn't need to pump the water and dirt out of your u-joints etc.

They decided they wanted money for new ones instead.

Same deal for a high water vent on the tranny. They figure you don't need one and would rather spend money for a new tranny if you have to cross a creek.

Mike

John Red-Horse wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Yikes! Well, to say the least, I'm dumbfounded.

The only plus is that I've learned that I'm not losing my mind...

thanks, john

Reply to
John Red-Horse

Nope, you are still sane.. ;-)

When it comes replacement time, grease fitting ones are available and I highly recommend them.

I tried the 'heavy duty' non grease nipple ones and had to fix something else 8 months later so had a chance to inspect them and the grease had already gone that sick purple milkshake color and consistency.

I pulled them all and bought cheapies. Got my money back as a store coupon for the extra $78.00 on them because they had a 'lifetime' warranty.

I also pulled the stupid button vent out from the top side of my shift tower on the tranny and shoved a chunk of steel gas line in with JB Weld on it to make a nipple for a high water vent. I then ran the vent up by the t-case one near the battery.

Mike

Mike Romain

Well, Mike. I'm about to purchase our 4th Jeep and my expeerience differs a bit. We've had: A '94 Cherokee 2wd, sold w/265,000 miles on the clock A '93 Cherokee currently w/171,000 miles A '95 Wrangler currently w/170,000 miles and soon to aquire: A '94 Wrangler currently w/168,000 miles on it. All of these vehicles either still have the OEM, sealed u-joints. Not a zerk in the bunch. A year ago(yesterday, in fact)I wrecked an '84 S-10 4x4 with over

350,000 miles on it. It also still had the factory sealed u-joints...all 4 of them! I believe they are making them better than they used to, because I'm not particularly soft on any of my vehicles , nor do I steer around mud holes or puddles.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

I had to replace every one in both of my Jeeps shortly after buying them. They were all worn out. My CJ7 had 135K miles on it and our Cherokee had 250K km on it.

I made an error and went with the 'heavy duty' lifetime warranty ones with no grease zerks.

I have had to replace all of them again in the last 3 years and man it was a real piss off when the front axle ones needed changing a second time...

Maybe it's the organic 'mud' we wheel in? This crap doesn't just get into stuff, it actually burns and turns into charcoal.

Mike

Old Crow wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
FrankW

Hmm, could be the salt dries out the seals...

Mike

FrankW wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Odd. I'm not sure of the life any of my Jeeps led before I got them, but I know for a fact that the S-10 was a farm truck from the time it rolled off the showroom until I got it. It had a hydraulic hay fork mounted in the bed when the guy traded it in at the same dealership he bought it from. I can just picture that poor little truck with a 6' round bale of hay hanging off the back end...it's a wonder the front wheels weren't 3' in the air.

Believe me, I'm old enough that when I do have to replace a u-joint I'll go for the one with the zerks.

Maybe the lift and big tires contribute to the problem? All my vehicles have been more or less stock(maybe an increase of tire size, but no lift).

You'd just love this red clay shit we've got down south. I've got a spice colored soft top, and it's a good thing, because the stuff actually stains the fabric. Can't wait to get the ol' ladies new(to her)YJ off in it...the top's gray.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

There's a thought. The stuff they use around here is more of a salt/sand mixture. I still see a lot more rust out here than when I lived in SoCal or Arizona, but not near as much as on vehicles I've seen from Illinois or places further north.