Lugging on a motor

from this site:

I read this: "having miss-matched tire sizes and axle gear ratios can result in the lugging of the motor."

I'm running 32" tires with stock gears and a T-5 transmission.

How could I tell if this was a configuration prone to Lugging?

TIA,

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

L.W.(ßill)

No Tach, No YJ. Only a lowly 83 CJ7 :-)

Do need to get a Tach though.

bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

RPM...

I run 33's and 3.31 gears and if I use 5th on the highway at 65 mph, my revs are too low, about 1800 or less and the engine lugs and just drinks gas.

If I use 4th, I turn 2300 rpm at 65 and the slightest twitch on the gas pedal is all I need to adjust my power for wind or up hills.

When in 5th, I need almost the whole travel of the gas pedal to do minor power adjustments, this tells me I am lugging the engine.

Basically if you have the pedal to the metal and aren't increasing speed at a good rate, you are lugging it and your gas mileage will suck.

I get 19 US mpg highway running in 4th. Put her in 5th mostly for the same trip and I don't get even 15 mpg.

Mike

William Oliveri wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain