Mismatched tire brands

Mismatched tires are a bad idea. For a scholarly but brief discussion, see: Different tires behave differently.

For the liability issue, see:

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Involving using the mini-spare, and its affect on the 4-wheel drive,> and thats not really the case for my vehicle, I assume, or I could be> all wrong.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Yeah, typically high pressure, with either a 45 or 50 mph limit plus a limit on distance travelled. Someday I'll get bored and see if there is any sort of tire cord whatever under that tread.

Lee Ayrton proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Stupendous Man proclaimed:

Or a public service award if the thing is all layed over in your lane coming head on wrongsided on a winding mountain road with blind darwinian curves.

Reply to
Lon

Amid all the noise, that was what the OP came back with: 3 x 235/15 and 1 215/15. Unless he has a really strange Jeep, that's going to put a mismatch on one axle or the other . He also noted that the mismatch was on the rear. I can handle the mismatch on the front - for a short time - but putting it on the rear gets dicey. Add icy/slick roads and it makes for some challenging dynamics.

As for the Western Sl> I wrote my district attorney's office a long letter, telling them exactly

Reply to
Will Honea

With all the noise in this thread, I missed the two different sizes. That is not a good idea. I tried the factory spare on my Wrangler once, and the first stop was a tire shoppe.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

That tire size difference was imported from another newsgroup because 'that' gent was fishtailing all over the road in either 2x4 or 4x4...

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

GOSH! An accident where a pickup lost control when the rear end, shod in undersized tires, swung out trying to dodge a deer in the roadway.

I NEVER, EVER heard of the rear end of a pickup swinging out.

Let's have a reference to tires of the correct size, pressure, etc but not the same model/manufacturer was proven to be the cause of a fatality.

Let's try a recent reference....... In the Firestone fiasco a couple years ago they only replaced existing Firestone tires, not the odd ones people may have had. If this was such a horribly dangerous affront to auto safety would they not have replaced all 4 err... 5 tires on every explorer?

Reply to
Billy Ray

No that is NOT the OP description. It is... and I'll quote: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Nov 25, 11:10 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys From: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com - Find messages by this author Date: 25 Nov 2005 08:10:29 -0800 Local: Fri, Nov 25 2005 11:10 am Subject: Mismatched tire brands Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show original | Report Abuse

Hi there, I've got a Jeep Wrangler 2001, and I have 3 Firestone brand tires, and one original brand, came with the vehicle. They are the same diameter, just different brands. One has gone flat, and the tire dealer refuses to sell me a new one -- he says I risk serious damage to the differential, and he wants no part of an installation on my vehicle, presumably, for liability purposes. So I just went and got the tire patched, the local filling station must be a little less afraid of liability.

It SPECIFICALLY states "They are the same diameter, just different brands"

begin 666 dot_clear.gif K1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``/___P```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P`` ` end

Reply to
Billy Ray

Good point Billy Ray, and I'll tell you why, because it was litigious bull$hit.

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Earle,

There never were 2 sizes. someone just made that part up.

I will quote from the OP: "They are the same diameter, just different brands"

Reply to
Billy Ray

Let's do a survey here in the newsgroup.

Anyone, who EVER drove a pickup, who never ever broke the rear end loose speak out.

Let's see if anyone has the nerve to make this claim.

Reply to
Billy Ray

I used to drive a, 85 Nissan pickup with matched Michelin Xs. I would break the rear end loose at times. Tomes

Reply to
Tomes

Reply to
FrankW

I'll have to re-check here in New Zealand, but as far as I know and remember Cherokees here never came without a full size spare.

TW

My used `89 Cherokee still had its factory-fresh "space saver" spare in place when I bought it.

Reply to
TW

In Britain we just need two tyres of the same advertised size and construction { radial | crossply } on the same axle. No requirement for the same type (e.g. mud terrain v all terrain) on the same axle, and no requirement for the front axles to have the same size tyres as the rear axles. Although I have always had 5 identical tyres on my trucks, I've driven my 3 litre Alfa with Yokos and a Pirelli spare which I have had to use on occasion - no noticeable difference in handling.

If we were *that* concerned about safety and the ability to switch lanes in a hurry, we wouldn't be driving Jeeps, and especially not lifted Jeeps.

Dave Milne

I'm pretty sure that is the regulation in most places here - although Colorado does have some interesting "howevers" in the code. One touring tire and one mid/snow rated tire on the drive end would probably be a lot of fun going up Loveland Pass on a snow packed road even if it were legal. I think the rule here is that the highway patrol can require equipment in steps ranging from no restriction other than the size/construction to m/s rated tires on the drive axle to chains or 4WD to "forget it and go home". Like most laws, what's legal ain't necessarily what's smart. Of course, the problem is more often the n*****ts who wouldn't know what to do with proper tires much less what they are.

Reply to
Will Honea

We also have the silly spare in our 88. Have a full sized one for off road runs.

They changed it for the package that came with trac loc as far as I know.

Mike

Mike Romain

Someone else had an imitation spare in his `89 Cherokee, so I guess that I wasn't the only one:

I've no idea when (or with which packages) the Cherokee l> I'll have to re-check here in New Zealand, but as far as I know and

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

My '95 Wrangler came with a "full sized" spare that was two ply and had almost no tread on it. I actually had to use it once, and the vehicle handled like crap. Later we bought a new Cherokee, and had the dealer put a real tire on the spare before we took delivery.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

My 95 Sport has a full size / real tire spare ... Keep in mind that I *just* bought it used and have no clue about its history :/

Reply to
noneyabusiness