More VW Diesel Knee-Slappers

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

can and my car doesn't smoke.>

I can fix anything fixable, the VW diesel does not qualify...

Reply to
Jerry McG

Then, of course, there's the infamous issue with post-79 VW diesels where if you didn't torque the oil filter down with a capwrench to 50 ft lbs it was likely to blow the filter seal and dump all the oil before you could shut the stupid thing off. Replaced numerous engines for do-it-yourselfers who innocently thought they could just change their own oil & filter in the driveway. $2k later they had learned , NO YOU CAN'T!

Reply to
Jerry McG

Not as much as being seen in a Rabbit diesel! ;-)

Reply to
Jerry McG

Now, now Susan, we're just talking about diesels in cars. Diesels are just fine in trucks...even if they do smoke & smell.

Reply to
Jerry McG

"Paul Calman" wrote derisively:

legitimacy from the rest of your statements.<

Who, ME?

ridiculing the opinions of others>

It's more like enjoyng being a sarcastic bastard when the other side has become quite full of themselves.

impugned my honor by implying that my sympathies lie with a pinko traitor.>

Nope, I said you'd make another fellow Rabbit diesel driver proud. The fact that she is a pinko traitor, well, if the shoe fits. (Hybrid drivers will be happy to know they're in the same company as Ariana the Flake Huffington, Michael Moore, etc.)

Reply to
Jerry McG

Ah, yes. The old school of common knowlege? The one that teaches that all offroaders live to destroy nature? All blacks are good at basketball?

All of the diesels that you see smoking, smoke. The rest don't. Nearly all diesels will smoke under a heavy load at high RPMs, or under hard acceleration, but even that is still producing less pollutants than a gas vehicle of similar displacement under the same load. Just because you can see or smell it, doesn't make it worse. Stinky it may be, but my diesel does not smoke in normal use, and I get nearly 50 MPG. I have a grand that says we can pick out five strangers in town, and they won't see smoke when I drive by the market in either direction. Come on up, bring money.

- - Paul Calman, Hathaway Pines, California

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
Dave Milne

Jerry is the one who apparently detestes everything to do with ANYTHING powered by diesel, and it consistantly shows by his posts. I posted the link to that marine diesel to show what CAN be done, but Jerry simply classes it as one and the same with every 20+ year old, badly maintained oil burner out on the highway. You simply do not install unreliable, uneconomic power plants in 100,000 ton ships. its a whole different ball game, if only people would realise it. I think Susan did, by the tone of her post, and she dint once mention diesel cars. (but I do confess mild curiosity as to what she drives)

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

OK, you're almost there... Get rid of the "Nearly" in that sentence and you'll be one step closer. I'm glad I could assist you through this learning process! :-)

I don't live in California, thank God. But I can almost smell your fumes all the way over here on the east coast. Do us all a favor and trade your hunk o' junk in on a real vehicle. Spend your "grand" as part of a down-payment on something that doesn't put out such stanky smells. Think of the kids. You don't want them growing up with black-lung and stuff like that just because you're selfish and wanna get 50mpg in your pollution-spewing rattle-trap! As you get older, you'll understand stuff like this better and learn to think of other people besides just yourself, son. :-)

Reply to
Shaggie

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Well, lets see, since you were sleeping through the program, you missed Ford, Mercedes, & VW all touting their newer Diesels. So I'm supposed to think they're doing all this work with Diesels for nothing.

Let's put it this way... Nothing I or anyone else says is ever going to change your weird opinion of Diesels.

-bob-

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I think Paul's vision has been affected by the stuff in the diesel smoke...

Reply to
Jerry McG

You're being generous if you think Paul could get "a grand" for an '82 diesel Rabbit. Thusands of them have been left for deaed on the side of the road, to the degree they're best sold by the pound for scrap.

Reply to
Jerry McG

I don't drive, I RIDE. Which always makes me smile whenever I see guys in their powerfull *fast* cars. Which reminds me, all the girls and me think guys drive these big gas guzzlers for the same reason. But I cant tell you why, cause its a girl thing....

Susan

Reply to
Me Too

And how are things in Junior High, Suzy? (Touched one yet?)

Reply to
Jerry McG

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III