More VW Diesel Knee-Slappers

Oh man. Just what we need. More nuc'ular power plants generating waste so bad that they have to try to figure out how to communicate in sign language to the cockroaches who will inherit the Earth after we get done f$^#%ing it up. They have those pylon thingies with the pictographs at the nuc'ular waste dumps so that 100,000 years from now, when the stuff is still too toxic to be around, the poor future bastards will know who to blame for the fiasco... US! Oh, and yeah... we know how to engineer structures to last 100,00+ years. Trust us, of course we do. Let's just bury the stuff in a great big hole. Truuuust us they say.

One nuc'ular power plant "lets go" and entire geographical REGIONS are uninhabitable (uh, Chernobyl?). I could literally have to lose my home and land (best case) if Hanford ever has a problem, for example. That is BULLSHIT. And saying that they have redundant safety systems, etc, is bullshit too. So do 747's.

-jeff

-jeff (enviromentalist who owns 2 chain saws)

Reply to
Handywired

Well you probably don't want to hear that nuclear power plants were built by the cheapest bidder...

Or the biggest bribe payer.

(same thing really, I suppose)

Reply to
Mike

Boo Hoo Bill. Ever heard of a Hummer? Oh, I forgot,... diesels suck.

Try this link, or go to Google and type in "GM Military Trucks"...

-bob-

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

That's not old.

I wanna convert my Jeep into a Stanley Steamer!!!!

I will be the only one on the road when the oil runs out!!!

Yahoo!!

:-)

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Who is: Organization: About.com, Inc. Nayden Naydenov 249 West 17th Street, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10011 US Phone: (212) 204 - 4000 Fax..: (212) 204 - 1521 Email: snipped-for-privacy@ABOUT.COM

Registrar Name....: Register.com Registrar Whois...: whois.register.com Registrar Homepage:

Domain Name: ABOUT.COM

Created on..............: Fri, Mar 12, 1999 Expires on..............: Sat, Mar 12, 2005 Record last updated on..: Fri, Mar 05, 2004

Administrative Contact: About.com, Inc. Nayden Naydenov 249 West 17th Street, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10011 US Phone: (212) 204 - 4000 Fax..: (212) 204 - 1521 Email: snipped-for-privacy@ABOUT.COM

Technical Contact: About.com, Inc. Ian Bishop 249 West 17th Street, 2nd Floor New York, NY 10011 US Phone: (212) 204 - 4000 Fax..: (212) 204 - 1521 Email: snipped-for-privacy@ABOUT-INC.COM

Zone Contact: Register.Com Registrar Internic 575 8th Avenue New York, NY 10018 US Phone: 212-594-9880 Fax..: 212-594-9876 Email: snipped-for-privacy@register.com

Domain servers in listed order:

NYDNS1.ABOUT.COM 209.143.217.152 TXDNS1.ABOUT.COM 63.251.36.235 SJDNS1.ABOUT.COM 208.185.127.61 NYDNS2.ABOUT.COM 209.143.217.153 TXDNS2.ABOUT.COM 63.251.36.236 SJDNS2.ABOUT.COM 208.185.127.62

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

"F. Robert Falbo" wrote:

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Actually, I think it was made in Japan.

You gotta admit the ladders leading down into the crankcase are da bomb.

Reply to
Beloved Leader

I think Stanley Steamers run on gasoline or some other petroleum distillate. They did NOT run on coal.

The one Jay Leno brought to the Chrysler Performance West Spring Fling in Woodley Park a few years ago certainly used liquid fuel. He claimed to have gotten it up to 85mph, but had to stop every 25 miles...for water!

Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

God damn, you can recite all that left-wing anti-nuke crap in one sitting? I'm friggin' impressed!

I like this propaganda better: "More people have died in Ted Kennedy's car than from the American nuclear power industry." (Unfortunately, for you the latter is TRUE!)

Reply to
Jerry McG

Legend has it that no one ever found out how fast a Stanley Steamer could go flat out because, at speed, the floor pan produced a ground effect and the damned things would get airborne.

YMMV.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I'm sorry, but I just can't let ignorant bullshit pass, especially when you have to put some sort of backhanded liberal vs. conservative spin on it. Thousands of uranium miners who by definition were employed by the American Nuclear Power industry have died of cancer as a direct result of their employment activities. It happened, it's history. Current mining safety practices are much better, but this does not change the past. Bottom line: Can failsafe plants be designed? Absolutely yes, but I am not sure the industry is capable of profitably executing such a design. When I see an industry that is willing to not only run plants beyond their design life, but to request a 20% over design limit power output on said same plants I worry.

Jeff, 25 miles from Vermont Yankee.

Reply to
Jeff Lowe

The same people who for the last 40 years have been shrieking and wringing their "Oh, My God!" hands over nuclear power are the same ones screaming about global warming. Yet these are the first doom-prophets (like the Kennedy family) who NIMBY any nearby wind power generation farms, compalin of the "unsightly" fields of solar collectors, and ban wood burning stoves in their towns to "save the forests". Well, perhaps we can all satrt heating our homes on these fools bullshit.

By no definition but yours because you think it reinforces your argument. Thousands of people dies mining coal, gold & copper, but you use these items every day.

I assume you're a nuclear engineer, right? Otherwise what qualifies you to make such a ststement?

< When I see anindustry that is willing to not only run plants beyond their design life, >

Because since, because of you, they can't build a new one and to shut it down means millions then either freeze or depend upon the fossil fuel-fired plants yu also want to shut down.

< but to request a 20% over design limit power output on said same plants I worry.>

If you knew they'd upgraded it, you'd still worry, as you do about ozone layer depletion, CO2 emissions, acid-rain, te Patriot Act, you know, whatever fits the agenda.

Reply to
Jerry McG

Old man Stanley used his money to build the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO, which appeared in the early 80's movie "The Shining". Apprently everything he touched got spooky!

Reply to
Jerry McG

Ok, Where did they get the fuel then? There are no fuel fairies coming around magically depositing fuel in plants. Mining and processing radioactives are dangerous occupations, but necessary to the operation of a fission reactor. Many have died, pointing out the lie in you statement about Ted Kennedy, whom btw I have total distain for.

Yep, so do steel workers, construction workers, loggers, etc. Its a dangerous world. Have these deaths somehow brought the uranium workers back to life?

No I am not qualified or licenced in that field. I am an electrical project engineer. Similar functions, different industry.

Wood chip power plants, waste to energy, bio-fuel, PV, wind, fusion, methane hydrides are all good ideas that should be persued. The only reason fission has ever been practical is because of the huge government subsidies and tax breaks. It's hard to believe in an industry that requires that much of a government handout to exist. I am not against nuclear power, but I am against any company or industry slopping at the public trough. That's not free enterprise, it's corporate welfare.

It is my understanding that the plant is not in too bad of shape for one that old, but it is showing cracking and material faults typical of a plant that age. But, there-in lies the rub: in order to operate at the increased 20% above design capacity the operators want to use the dome as a pressure vessel in a loss of coolant scenario. This is equivalent to putting a 35 psi radiator cap on CJ2A with it's original radiator so it won't boil over.

BTW, I do keep potassium iodide in the first aid kit in the Jeep.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Lowe

I guess that means you didn't like the site, eh? I think you really ought to write to GM Military and tell them they're all stupid for using a diesel in their hybrid... maybe they'll even hire you to design their next generation of vehicle... Then all of us here who think you're full of yourself would have to bow down before you and ask for your mercy...NAAAWW!!

-bob- (I love the smell of Diesel in the morning,.... smells like... work being done!)

Reply to
F. Robert Falbo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Here you go.

mercy...NAAAWW!!

Reply to
Dave Milne

Sry those were the civvy ones- here's the military one.

Dave Milne

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III