Stuck door!

I went out to take my full doors off today, and the passenger one won't come off! Yes, I did take off both nuts.... The driver's door came off with a bit of grunting (man those things are heavier than I expected), but the passenger's side won't budge. Looks like I can lift it about 1/8" and it stops. I pulled on it hard enough to rock my TJ as far as I could lift it, and nothing.

Anyone have any tips on this? It's insanely hot out right now and I figure the more wind that hits me, the better!

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric Bailey

Try some oil on the hinges and swing the door open and closed while lifting.

Mike

Eric Bailey wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

And next time, follow the recommendation in the owner's manual about lubricating the hinges with engine oil. ;o)

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

If that doesn't work, simply get out a dremel and grind off the hinges! You don't need no stinking doors!! Very effective!! ;-) Ed '79 CJ5 34's locked and rocked

Reply to
Edward Rock

For those first time removed (or first time after a long winter) doors, it is much easier and with less strain if you get a scrap piece of 2X4, stand it on end on top of a floor jack and slide the whole thing under the door. Line it all up and jack. The top pin is longer than the bottom pin so once the bottom pin is free you have about 1/4 inch left in the top. (Not only is this so that the nut can attach to the pin but assists lining the pins up when putting the doors back on by yourself). Make sure that you 1.) have the door open about 1/2 of it's swing to make sure it clears the windshield frame and 2.) have the "lifting contraption" positioned near the front of the door so that the lifting force is sliding the pins out and not bending the door.

One final thought, it is Fed regulation that there be a mirror on the drivers side. You can probably get away without it but those cops can be MF's when they want to.

Reply to
Christopher Reynolds

If you need a mirror, a Honda motorcycle mirror fits perfect into the hinge hole with the door off. Cheap, easy and it doesn't vibrate.

Mike

Christ>

Reply to
Mike Romain

-- Chad Remove MY.APENDIX to reply

YJ RIP

02 TJ Sport Work in progress (His) 99 WJ Limited (Hers)
" A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in humanhistory. With the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila." Mitch Ratcliffe
Reply to
Chad Fraker

I use Baja doors to keep the big pieces of dust out and empty pop cans in. Since there is no place to put motorcycle mirrors, I have CJ mirrors mounted on the windshield hinges. When driving down a gravel road what is in the mirrors reminds me of some of the pharmaceuticals I took when I was (much) younger.

Earle

message

Reply to
Earle Horton

Have to ask Steve Seppala, he has a set on.

I forwarded this to him.

Mike

Chad Fraker wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

As for federal regulations, apparently those that patrol the streets in this area are not aware of it. I've asked a couple of different patrol cops what the rules were, and they said they didn't think there was anything that specified one way or the other. That, and they said that they wouldn't waste their time pulling a Jeep over just because it didn't have side mirrors...

That, and in Texas, I know you only have to have the rearview mirror (law says something about needing one mirror that allows you to see so many feet behind you, and with the top off, the rearview does the job).

Reply to
Eric Bailey

WD40 is a good start. Any penetrating oil is better than WD40, but WD40 will do the trick here.

Lift the door and apply oil and let the door drop back down, then lift again. When lifting, place your hand directly under the hinge so that the door does not bind, and lift. Use the other hand to swing the door back and forth while lifting.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It turns out that this is a state by stare regulation, not something dreampt up by the Feds.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Here is a cheap and easy solution for an outside mirror.

has a bracket for about $13.00 (includesshipping) that fits into the top hinge after the door is removed. Youcan buy a $10.00 mirror at any auto supply store that will attacheasily to the bracket. For about $25.00, you're in business. Worksgreat. A lot simpler then replacing the hinges.John

Reply to
yobaby