Noisy distributor on 96 XJ

I acquired my first Jeep no long ago. It is a 96 XJ with 148,000 miles. I noticed a steady ticking sound that I traced to the distributor using a screwdriver as a makeshift stethoscope. Is it normal for the distributor to tick loudly or is this an indication of pending engine woe? Thanks.

Reply to
rgarrett

rgarrett did pass the time by typing:

The bushing is wearing out. The only solution is to replace the distributor.

Short term it will just make noise. Long term it will cause engine problems. You should plan to fix it.

At least for the I6 it's not that hard to do. I've got a writeup from the last time I did it to my ZJ.

As a plus this also replaces the camshaft position sensor, another source of rough idle/hesitation.

Reply to
DougW

Another option is to pull the distributor, disassemble the shaft, and replace the bushing. Saves you a lot of money. Chilton and Haynes manuals have instructions.

Reply to
Robert

"Robert" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@bresnan.com...

That's what I thought on a 96 I owned. After pulling the shaft out I discovered most of the ware was on the shaft and not the bushings. After the core the replacement was $54 and it included a new cam position sensor.

Reply to
Jo Bo

Ah ... ok ... makes sense. Can't go wrong at $54 for a reman distrib.

Reply to
Robert