nv3550 questions

My TJ has been hard to shift lately, and has been leaking fluid from between the transmission and engine. It isn't oil from the engine, I changed it and checked the levels constantly and it stays the same, also lighter color than the leak.

Today I opened the fill plug on the tranny, and a LOT of fluid came out. When I changed it last (after being underwater) is when I noticed it was leaking, but I didn't fill it this much. I filled it to the bottom of the fill plug. This was like water or something else had magically gotten in. I haven't gone near water at all since that near drowning of my jeep.

I opened up the drain plug and drained all the fluids out. I didn't have enough of the dealership's special "manual transmission fluid" for the nv3550. I found on the internet that some people are using pennzoil Synchromesh Fluid instead of the expensive stealership fluid. Anyone out there using this?

Napa's computers said to use 70w90 or whatever gear oil... and some other person said to use atf fluid. Whats the difference? This guy said his jeep's nv3550 is running fine on ATF? I can't find a definitive answer.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

BTW its sitting in my yard, transmission empty, until I know what I can fill it with.

Troy

01 TJ
Reply to
Troy

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Troy,

The NV3550 uses a synthetic oil and it is a 30 weight do not use 70-90 or ATF. The if you read the synchromesh specifications it does not say it is specifically for the NV3550 it is a 30 weight oil similar to the Mopar OEM some have used it with no problems. I stick to the Mopar stuff and have never had a problem pay me now or pay much more later comes to mind.

The oil leak could be a leaking valve cover very common and it does appear to be coming from the tranny by running down the bell housing.

It sounds like that you still had some water in the inside, when you drained was the fluid milky if so it had water on it. You also may have not gotten all the water out some time it takes several flushes to get it all. This is more than likely why it is getting hard to shift.

You did not state how many miles or year of your TJ hard shift may equate to new clutch also.

And for Bill the NV3550 is not puny,

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Use the Pennzoil Syncromesh, that's what I have in mine, it's the same as the dealer stuff. Napa's computers are wrong, the 3550 was intro's in 2000, prior models had teh AX15 which uses standard gear oil. The fellow using ATF in his 3550 will have a siezed transmission soon.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I went and got the pennzoil syncromesh. Thanks guys for the clarification. It was $6.50 at autozone, but I didn't go searching everywhere for a better deal, just wanted to get out of the heat.

Its in a 2001 TJ and I just topped 55000 miles recently. I drove it around a bit and it was shifting smoothly again. As far as I can tell the clutch still operates fine, I can be idling and gently let it out in first and I dont even have to give it gas. My buddy (drives a honda) is amazed by that.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

You can also point it up a sand pit wall, get out and walk the thing up the hill in 1st low. The computer keeps it from stalling.

Mike

Mike Romain

Last I checked it was something like $12/qt at dealer, that's why I was looking around for it. Got into a snipping match with D-C because the factory service manual and owner's manual says do not use anything but the dealer stuff, but if there is no aftermarket equivalent they are supposed to provide it for free. At the time the Pennzoil wasn't available.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Personally the Pennzoil® Synchromesh stuff says, a.. Suitable for use in Chrysler transaxles and transmissions requiring Part No. 4874464 It does not sat it meets Chrysler Part No. 4874464 the difference is the Chrysler Part No. 4874464 is synthetic and Pennzoil® Synchromesh is not.

Suitable is not good enough for me but, that is just me.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

"if there is no aftermarket equivalent they are supposed to provide it for free."

Why in the world would you say something like that? Don't beleve everything you read on the internet.

Reply to
Greg Johnson

So is the Chrysler stuff 'really' synthetic or is it just one of those fake labels they went to court to be able to put on normal refined dino oil to jack the price way up?

Maybe Pennzoil is just being honest with their label and price?

Mike

Mike Romain

Thing is, I do remember reading somwhere (not on the net) that for maintenince issues like oil and fluids, the manufacturer (not dealer) is not supposed to charge for it if the manufacturer specifies only their own fluid and no other, which was the case for the NV3550 when it was intro'd. I was googling for a pertinent link about this issue and the Magnusson Moss act but can't find it yet.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

How the auto companies get away with it is to say a product must meet (blank) specifications. They are not saying a particular product is the only authorized fluid or you will void your warranty, that would be the Magnusson Moss act.

It is just like ATF+4, DC has said the transmission fluid must meet ATF+4 to be used and the only place you could get ATF+4 was at the Dealer. However it is now sold at every parts place as ATF+4 under the Valvoline label.

Pennzoil® says their Synchromesh fluid is suitable for use in Chrysler transaxles and transmissions requiring Part No. 4874464. However the key word is missing in which is (Meets OEM) Chrysler Part No. 4874464. Just like the Mercron ATF which said it was suitable for use in DC transmissions and when you used it your transmission failed. People were either too cheap or did not understand the difference between suitable and meets OEM requirements their is a big difference their and they ended up paying for it with failed transmissions.

The difference is the Chrysler Part No. 4874464 is a full synthetic designed to last the life of the transmission unless it requires rebuilding or goes under water and Pennzoil® Synchromesh is not synthetic it is a paraffin based lubricant that must be change.

What I have said was confirmed by a writer for Motor Week Pat Goss who I talked to on his weekly radio show and he is the most knowledgably auto mechanic there is.

The old adage Pay ME Now or Pay Me later came to mind.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Magnusson Moss Warranty Act

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

But for th e NV3550, that's exactly what the FSM and the owner's manual said. "Do not use anything but Mopar pert number XXXXXXX."

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

I have a bottle of Pennzoil Syncromesh on my desk right now. It says: "For use in manual transaxles and transmisions requiring GM part # 12345349 or

12345577 and Chrysler part no. 4874464. Meets GM specification 9985648 and Chrysler specification MS9224."

When I was looking for an aftermarket equivalent I contacted New Venture Gear, and they told me the spec oil for that transmission was Havoline 1874 Syncromesh Transmission Fluid.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Matt,

Go to the Pennzoil web site and read the specs it says "SUITABLE for use in Chrysler transaxles and transmissions requiring Part No. 4874464 it does not say MEETS Chrysler transaxles and transmissions requiring Part No. 4874464. Suitable does not mean it meets OEM specs.

The Magnusson Moss Warranty Act does not prevent an auto company from specifically specifying a particular OEM fluid such as Part No. 4874464 for the manual transmission they just are not telling you what is a substitute and they do not have to. However what ever if you use any thing else it must say on the container MEETS Chrysler specifications Part No. 4874464. Saying SUITABLE is not the same and could void any warranty.

(OT but relevant) For over 20 years Harley Davidson said any other oil but theirs would ruin the engine and GOD forbid if you used synthetic your engine would just blow up. Today HD sells their own brand of synthetic oil however that cannot say it is exclusive and the only oil you can use in the engines. HD was one of the reasons for the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act.

Meets means that it is equal any other wording such as suitable, can be used instead, and my all time favorite can be used with special additive just does not cut it.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

[...]

So the pennzoil synchromesh is "good enough" but isn't synthetic like the oem stuff, which means I will have to keep changing it instead of leaving it in there for the lifetime of the vehicle? Doesn't seem to bad as I'm in Florida and will probably sink the jeep again... Maybe if I trash the nv3550 I could find an ax15 to slap in there and just use the simpler stuff in it.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

What is going on in the nv3550 that makes it require that specific mopar lubricant? I think I remember reading on the pennzoil syncromesh bottle that it is safe for "yellow" metals like brass, copper, etc. Being a metal finisher I would guess that some other lubricants would be mildly acidic or base and eat up the copper/brass that may be in the nv3550? I dont know if there is any in there, just guessing. The parts guy ( i know, parts counter guys, sheesh) says he didn't really sell much of the stuff, and there must be something out there people are using instead of it.

Troy

Reply to
Troy