OT -- Ford Question, Check Engine Light

I have a '95 Bronco that runs well, but the Check light came on this evening on the way home.

We all know that Jeeps can flash the Check light to derive the stored code if the ignition is cycled on and off 5 times quickly and left on. How does Ford accomplish this test mode?

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff Strickland did pass the time by typing:

96 started the OBD-II. Not sure about 95

I'd ask here

DougW

Thanks Doug, I did ask over there. This group seems to have a better grip on this sort of stuff though. And, OBD I is in my Bronco.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

My local parts store "said" they can't read my EEC4, but they have a tool for $35 that can. I bought the tool.

It says that the Bank 1 Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen sensor (is this the same as the O2 Sensor?) detects a lean condition.

My Bronco has 120k miles, of which I racked up 200 of them, so I have no problem with the notion that the O2 Sensor, Bank 1, is bad. My truck did pass smog, twice, in the past 6 weeks or so.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Jeff Strickland did pass the time by typing:

Yep.

I've found the O2 sensor can have a dramatic impact on economy. When they start to drift the engine usually runs rich. I'd check the connectors though.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

That would be logical. Might want to change all of them out, if one is going bad the others may soon follow.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

No wonder California has smog problems. :-)

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
philthy

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

No, the scan tool only has a blinking light and a buzzer that can be switched off -- the buzzer operats in tandem with the light, so one can count the buzzes instead of the flashes.

Once the code is known, there is an extensive list of codes to look through.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
philthy