One Less WJ On The Road

In article , Grumman-581 wrote: #I went up to the tow facilty on Sunday to get some personal items out #of the vehicle, took some photos, and put them on a page that I had #started for the WJ, but never got around to finishing... # #Does it look totalled to ya'll? # #

It is lucky that you two did not get a sun roof. It would have been a extra source of glass chunks and a extra entry point for other bits and chunks to go flying in from.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

One thing I learned in EMT class, is that the way to get killed in a rollover, is by being ejected from the vehicle. The original purpose of seat belts was to keep people inside the vehicle, where ninety-nine times out of a hundred it is safer, than flying out the window. Later, after they figured out that people were hitting their heads on the dash, padded dashboard and shoulder belts were added. Even later, when they figured out that some people would always refuse to do what was good for them, air bags and automatic tightening shoulder belts were added. If you have ever seen the film clip, of a pyrotechnic shoulder belt tensioner going off, with an auto manufacturer executive strapped in, well it doesn't get much better than that, filmwise. Rollovers are slow, compared to head on collisions. Air bags would be of limited value, since they deflate almost immediately after use.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Actually, it does have a sun roof... Surprisingly, it didn't break...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Nice, I just looked again and the sunroof doesn't even look scratched! Its hard looking at that wreck as it looks exactly like my 2000 JGC Limited, but with different wheels.

Brandonb

Grumman-581 wrote:

Reply to
Brandonb

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Wow, it held up MUCH better than I thought it would have from your description!!

Yes, its totaled. Its a unibody.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

It looks a bit worse in person... Or maybe it just looks worse when it is *your* Jeep...

Oh well... Probably going to replace it with a VW Jetta TDI (diesel) then... Acceptable acceleration, roomy enough for her, great fuel consumption, and most importantly, more difficult to roll...

Reply to
Grumman-581

Yikes. That's scary. 5mph? I think something went majorly wrong in the car's design.

Unless something else also happened in that 5mph test that made the sensor think it was going two to three times as fast...

/herb

In article , L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote: #

# God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O#mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com # #Herb Leong wrote: #> #> Hi Bill! #> #> You have a newer WJ, 2002 or later, right? My 1999 does not have that. #> You probably have two front Jesus bars on the D pillars next to the front #> windshield. I have only one front Jesus bar on the passenger side and it #> is in the same position relative to the holder as your rear seat Jesus #> bars. If you had the front Jesus bar located near the head as on the #> earlier WJs, it would smack your head when it deployed. #> #> As far as where the control module is located, it's not relavent. It #> takes a impact to the car that would crush up the bumper into the engine #> compartment to activate the front airbags... #> #> /herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

In article , Earle Horton wrote: #One thing I learned in EMT class, is that the way to get killed in a #rollover, is by being ejected from the vehicle. The original purpose of #seat belts was to keep people inside the vehicle, where ninety-nine times #out of a hundred it is safer, than flying out the window. Later, after they #figured out that people were hitting their heads on the dash, padded #dashboard and shoulder belts were added. Even later, when they figured out #that some people would always refuse to do what was good for them, air bags #and automatic tightening shoulder belts were added. If you have ever seen #the film clip, of a pyrotechnic shoulder belt tensioner going off, with an #auto manufacturer executive strapped in, well it doesn't get much better #than that, filmwise. Rollovers are slow, compared to head on collisions. #Air bags would be of limited value, since they deflate almost immediately #after use. # #Earle

So they may not have deployed even if they were there.

Kinda makes sense. When I got left hanging upside down, it felt slow. I thought it was fight/flight stress reflex making me think time had slowed. Maybe it was slowly turning over.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

In article , Grumman-581 wrote: #On Wed, 10 May 2006 05:23:45 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@urusei.net (Herb Leong) #wrote: #> It is lucky that you two did not get a sun roof. It would have #> been a extra source of glass chunks and a extra entry point for #> other bits and chunks to go flying in from. # #Actually, it does have a sun roof... Surprisingly, it didn't break...

I took another look at your pics and, wow. That is surprising. When I did not see a hole on the roof I just thought it did not have a sun roof.

That glass is not normal window glass, from the caved in/pushed out ones that I have seen. I saw one that was pulled/kicked out half way on a honda on the way to work. The car was otherwise intact and was doing the speed limit. That got some heads turned.

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

You got that right!

My wife's '99 TJ and her sister's loaded V8 & leather Grand Cherokee have nearly identical mileage and conditions. The TJ is worth ~ $1000 more on every web appraiser I've tried.

Compare the prices of the two vehicles when new, and it's apparent the GC owner is getting creamed.

Reply to
B A R R Y