[OT] attic insulation.

Ah.. so much fun.

Eight rolls of R-45 insulation now up in the attic and silly me just bought ten more rolls. That should be about half the house. :/

On the bright side, a spider bite? I got last sunday didn't do more than just swell up/ooze a bit and is getting better. Could have even been a splinter. For a while there I was worried about it being a fiddleback (brown recluse) nasty little bugger of a spider. Rilly nasty.

(if you want to sleep at night I suggest you not visit the following URL)

It's times like this I question my sanity, then realize I lost it a long time ago. ^_^

Reply to
DougW

Spotted in some other newsgroup, kept nameless to protect the innocents:

A site for those with what they believe to be brown recluse spider bites.

Lee "Hmmmm. Hoof prints. Zebra!" Ayrton

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Sounds a bit comical until you think about it a bit. Several years ago a local society gal actually died from a Brown Recluse bite she got when she sat down in a Port-a-Potty at some sort of soire. She was too embarassed to go to the Dr. until it got to the point that the abcess was, according to the doctor, "the size of a volley ball" and the infection was too much for her to handle.

Nasty little buggers!

Reply to
Will Honea

Yeah, I tried to cancel that post. I farked up, and I want to say that I really wasn't trying to mock the OP. I was trying to send the URL to another group, one that in the past was interested in how often ugly skin ulcers are mis-diagnosed by doctors as BRS bites. BSR bites are nasty, but the incidence of bites tends to increase after news stories about them, even in places where the spiders don't live.

My apologies to the group.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I am not a nurse. I am a mom of a 10 year old boy that has Community Acquired Oxacillin Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (ORSA). It's often misdiagnosed as spider bites. It's spreading like wild fire through school athletes, day cares and jails.

This is one of 3 or more strains not found in healthcare settings. It's very aggressive. It attacks healthy skin. I have to nearly paint his body with bactroban and about 200 Qtips three times a day. I'm collecting information on CA-ORSA and posting it on a site.

I would like to see the CDC's elite guard the EIS, take a more proactive or public approach to tracking strains and getting the word out. To that end, I email people I find on the net that might have influence and I copy the EIS and CDC on each one!

Since I can't directly battle the bacteria, I can battle people not knowing about the newer strains. Here's my site. I just started it this past October and already it needs to be updated with new and more severe instances of the spread.

megancho

snipped-for-privacy@caercoork.com did pass the time by typing:

My prayers are with you and your son.

Interesting site, I look forward to reading more when you post it.

Reply to
DougW

When I was in the Navy, I flew to Sigonella, Sicily with some guys who were going to be stationed there (I was passing through to the Gulf). One of them had a brown recluse in his packed baseball glove (that had presumably been in his garage) the whole trip, and it bit him a day or

2 after when he put his hand in it. It being Italy and that being an American spider, they didn't have the antivenom and couldn't get it for a couple more days-the long and the short is, he lost his hand. Awful animals.

Matt

Reply to
mhammer8

The website needs some pictures for easier identification. While I hate off topic posts, I doubt I would have heard of this otherwise. Good luck to you and I will say an extra prayer. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

I never realized how dangerous the Brown Recluse was. I always thought that spider from Australia was the most dangerous (funnel web?).

Wblane