OT: Defecting to the Dark Side

Bought a Land Rover Discovery 2 4.0 v8 today, and should take collection next week. Would have gone for a Jeep for preference, but decided I couldn't live without a Real Chassis. Big axles and hub means its rated for 7800 lb towing, but IMHO I would want a longer wheelbase for pulling that weight. It doesn't drive like a truck at all - feels like a limo with its 18" wheels, and electric everything but it is for towing not offroading, so that's ok.

Still keeping the Wrangler - this gives me transport and time to fix the Waggy.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

You;'ve been reading too many of Bill H's posts..

Looks Great!

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Nice looking ride there Dave.....

Reply to
billy ray

Dave, are Land Rovers more reasonable priced to purchase and maintain, over there, than Jeeps?

Reply to
billy ray

Don't know about your world, but here in the Boonies where I am you would be forced to Special Order any parts other than an Oil Filter and the parts are 3 times the price of comparable Jeep/Chevy/Ford parts "IF" you can even get them!

Bruce

Reply to
Highcountry

LOL, must be nice to be rich!

Still keeping the Wrangler - this gives me transport and time to fix the Waggy.

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Kate

Hee hee hee :-) [Actually, it isn't a Real Chassis, as it is a box section and welded not rivetted]

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

The Discovery 2 (99 - 04) was priced at £22,237 - £37,038 which I think puts it firmly in the Grand Cherokee territory. However, they depreciate like crazy - the one I bought I paid £6750 for a 99 model with a genuine 52,000 miles and full service history and is the top of the range model. So someone has lost nearly 60,000 bucks in 7 years. The anaemic TD5 with its 5 cylinder 2.5 litre turbo is a lot more - the ex 1961

213 ci Buick engine, now bored out, is pretty thirsty and drives the price down.

A 99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 v8 costs the same and is similarly specced, but I think you get more car for your money with the LR ( gear driven transfer case, bigger hubs, 7800lb towing capacity and 1300 lb payload).

Parts are plentiful and cheaper than Jeeps, and the general mechanic's knowledge available for LRs is very good. Very much like Jeeps in the US, there are plenty of DIY owners with clubs to support them. Similarly to ZJs in the US, they are bought by yummy mummys who take them to the mall. Like this one - no towbar and never been offroad. To be honest, it is hampered as an offroader unlike the Series 1 which was very capable. While it has full time 4x4 and sophisticated electronic features like Hill Descent Control coupled into the ABS, the rear overhang has increased and the air suspension at the back will make it difficult to lift a lot. The 18" wheels shod with lowish profile Pirelli Scorpion sports car tread tyres are going to be testing the traction control in a wet carpark and will get damaged in a heartbeat by the nearest rock. Which makes the seriously capable 4x4 system probably a bit of a waste of time for offroading (but great in the snow). Even if that were not the case, you would be crazy to take this offroad - its just too pretty.

It is the thing the Greenies love to hate - Chelsea Tractors (named after the area in London where the upmarket urban green wellie brigade made them popular).

Dave (3 trucks, no cars) Milne

Reply to
Dave Milne

I drive past the LR factory at Solihull on my way back from work :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

It would be if I were :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

I'm not slammin' your new purchase Dave, I personally like them, a lot, but here in NC-USA, you see lots and lots of them in the "buy here pay here" type car lots,(that's for folks with troubled credit), and can pick 'em up very cheap. Seems after just a few years they develop electrical problems, and every one I've ever looked at to consider purchasing was leaking at those rear overhead windows. It costs a lot here to keep them up. I know that to meet US standards they must undergo different electrical and crash modifications, and that may be part of the cause, I don't know.

Again, not slamming yours, I honestly would buy one if it weren't for the aforementioned problems.

Hope you enjoy it!

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

Hi Katie!

Hope you and Mr. Kate are doing well!

lol ( I know, it's Big Iron)

Spdloader

Reply to
Spdloader

This one seems to be ok - I tested all the electrics and it is all working except the heating element on the driver's seat which I don't care about. No leaks either and no discoloration indicating past ones so fingers crossed.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
Frank_v7.0

Heating element probably failed the same way the Jeep ones do. Broken connection wire in the seat bottom. Might take the cover off and look.

DougW

It was -2 here yesterday (-19C) and I will admit that I miss the heated seats my last 2 cars....

Real Jeeps are only heated when they are on fire...

Reply to
billy ray

I don't think he knows where you live.

So you have three 4x4s and only one driver eh?

Reply to
billy ray

Hope you and Mr. Kate are doing well!

lol ( I know, it's Big Iron)

Spdloader

Hi ya! Yup, all is well. Still working on the remodeling project from hell.

Mr. Kate is in doing the lunch dishes - when he's done I'll tell him you said howdy LOL!

K.

Reply to
Kate

heh, you remember too much Billy Ray !

Wrangler lives in Birmingham, Waggy and Disco in Edinburgh. I fly between the two places each Monday and Thursday.

Were it not for the fact I did Classics at Uni, I guess I would be a redneck :-)

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne

Real Jeeps are only heated when they are on fire...

When we had the Libby, the guy forgot to plug in a fuse or a wire when the light bar was installed. We were headed out on a short trip and realized that we had no heater. We turned on the heated seats and they made it managable. Up until that day I thought they were dumb. Now, Ajax will cook you out if you leave the heater on full blast. I like that just fine.

Kate

Reply to
Kate