OT: Navigation system

I'm looking for a GPS navigation system for my car. Any reccomendations? I'd like cheap but good.

Reply to
Jo

I have the Garmin street pilot... it's great! Discontinued and replaced with the color units now.

JimG

reccomendations?

Reply to
IsellJeeps!

Depends what you're looking for, but I just got a Garmin Venture for $125 on Ebay with a little bracket to mount it in my TJ... it doesn't do street maps, but is loaded with villages, cities, towns, points of interest, etc. Perfect for trail rides/hiking, and I do use it when I have to go into the city (works great for finding spots in DC like restaurants, parks, addresses, etc.). If you get a Garmin, download easygps for free from the easygps website, and you can search grids and enter new waypoints you want to find. The unit is small, tough, waterproof, and not too greedy on batteries. Perfect for me, but not too fancy, so you might not like it.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Just bought my 3rd GPs after not having bought one for around ten years... the new Garmin GPSMAP 60C and 60CS are currently rated #1 by a few GPS websites. I bought my 60CS around a month ago and it's really great... it also has a built-in altimeter and compass... the autorouting on the street is pretty amazing.

The color display is also amazing. I paid $418 for my GPSMAP 60CS.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I just put my wife in the copilot seat, she is always telling me what to do I might as well make good use of her back seat driver skills. Then when the directions are wrong it is her fault.

Reply to
HarryS

I've been looking at the MAgellan ones.

They have a Sportrak Topo that is excellent! It looks great anyways... They have the full US topo maps preloaded! BUT....this does me no good since I'm in Canada. I've talked to them and they are pushing a Canadian version in to production but no date set yet.

Advertised for the backcountry explorer (fishing/hiking/offroading....etc.)

I don't think it has an active compass (derived by movement!).

But I like the idea of the topo's.... Don't really have need for roads, although my next choice is the Sportrak Map ones....

reccomendations?

Reply to
SB

Can I borrow her?

reccomendations?

Reply to
Jo

In news:AhSfc.12739$A snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net, Jo thought: | I'm looking for a GPS navigation system for my car. Any | reccomendations? I'd like cheap but good.

Got Nextel? I use my Motorola i730 cell phone. Prolly regret it eventually though, in 10 months when I realize the $10 a month for the additional services would have bought me a real Garmin...

Reply to
Joseph P