OT: need good spyware removal program sugestions?

Here are some more Spyware/Adware prevention tricks. Please note Windows XP defaults to allow all spyware/adware/search bars/browser hyjackers to install automatically, but it can easily be fixed.

If you use Windows XP, you can stop all third party search bar take overs instantly. Simply right click on the E (Explorer), go to PROPERTIES, then click on ADVANCED. You want to make sure ENABLE THIRD-PARTY BROWSER EXTENSIONS (requires restart) is unclicked.

While you are there, unclick ENABLE INSTALL ON DEMAND (Internet Explorer AND Other), this is how 90% of spyware is installed. Doing this will cause a gray box to appear if spware or adware is about to install. It will now ask you if you want to install (insert spyware program here) which will watch what you do on the internet and then give you pop-up advertisements based on your surfing history. You want to click NO at this point.

On other versions of Windows you can turn off INSTALL ON DEMAND as well.

Reply to
Mark12211

Here are some more Spyware/Adware prevention tricks, you should also get McAfee's Antispyware.

[...]

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The first viruses were unix ones. I don't understand what you mean by the multitaking of a mail program. I don't know where people get the idea "if you run linux you can't get viruses" from.

Dave Milne

Thanks for help guys, I have gone with the AdAwareSE for now, I have told Ms. Clause to add a antispyware program to my Christmas list. :)

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

You might if you read the info at this link. I don't care what system you use. Linux doesn't do every task that I can imagin, but for what I use it for, it works great. The switch took a little time to get used to but I feel it was worth it. Just less maintenance. I used Windows for years and won't go back to it, or use it to access the internet. Just as I wouldn't park my Cherokee on a bombing range either.

Rick

Your link says

"For all these reasons, even if a few individuals got infected with a virus due to extremely foolish behavior, it's unlikely the virus would spread to other machines. Unlike Sobig.F, which is the fastest spreading virus ever, a Linux-based Virus would fizzle out quickly"

Take a trip back 16 years to the first internet worm. Sadly, I remember it ! At around midnight on November 2, 1988 the Morris worm, which was written by a 23 year old Cornell student called Robert Tappan Morris, was released on the then-embryonic Internet.Within hours the worm's 99 lines of code overloaded thousands of Unix-based VAX and Sun systems and forced administrators to disconnect their computers from the network to try and stop the worm from spreading.

Dave Milne, Scotland '91 Grand Wag>

Reply to
Dave Milne

Mark12211 proclaimed:

I know an even better trick.... but am having trouble locating the button to turn off BHO's and such on Mozilla....

Some can be set to prompt.

Reply to
Lon

The more famous one was more accurately described as a worm for the pitnickers in the crowd. However, Linux is not Unix unless you work for SCO. And indeed neither is CERT-free. Don't recall any CERT advisories for MVS/VTAM combination, but then the irreverent might ask how one could tell?

Dave Milne proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

True, but it is worth noting that it couldn't affect a goodly of the Unix variants then available for commercial use...as opposed to the BSD based variants running on Sun and VAX. With some Unix variants of the time totally immune, e.g. UTS.

Dave Milne proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

Not heard anything on that lately - have you ?

Reply to
Dave Milne

Currently at a startup with our beta systems out being ripped apart, so haven't had that much chance to stay current with SCOgate. Haven't seen any blurbs in ComputerWorld lately, about the only geek rag I have time to read any more.

Dave Milne proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

preferably

Reply to
Scott

SpyBot 1.3

Adaware
use both.

Dave Milne

is the best I've seen. also freeBtw...Just a side note...Tried the new microsoft spyware deleterprogram...It was nice and did a good job but bogged my computer down badly!Nick

Reply to
Nick

After being the sysadmin for about 76 computers of various vintages in a very complex setup, I would suggest not only the 2 obvious freebies but this combination: Norton Antivirus - not the standalone version but get Systemworks; ( and run disk doctor and speed disk MANUALLY and regularly)

-AND- BlackIce to keep all the ports closed and monitored

-AND- Webroot SpySweeper for everything else.

There are many long reasons NOT to use Norton Internet Security and/or the separate "personal Firewall".

There is currently a major upheaval in the protection business: (a) Symantec has not only fallen flat on its face but has managed to piss off many serious professionals and (b) Mickeysoft has just purchased an antispyware/antimalware company and is looking to kick some serious butt.

Much depends upon what you do or think you do with your machine. If you insist on using every unsafe operating procedure there is (IRC, IM, "Real" audio [it isn't] Quicktime, Peer-toPeer stuff, etc etc etc ad nauseum) then chances are you deserve whatever happens to you. Just because you CAN do domething does not mean you SHOULD do something. There are many issues with cpmpanies running what THEY perceive to be innocuous websites where along the way, the hosting company is "inserting" "stuff" - popups, popunders; and there are the obvious and blatant lies and cat and mouse games such as where PC magazine has all sorts of articles about how to prevent such stuff and then has all the same stuff on their websites that they're telling you how to get rid of.

Another for instance, people developing websites with serious programs such as Dreamweaver never use certain products such as Trend Micro. There are issues with Adobe products and anti-spyware programs because of the Adobe reporting. The list goes on and on. Someone leaked the heuristics of Norton I.S. on a pro group a couple of weeks ago; and the issue is it blocks LEGITIMATE websites, because it blocks (among hundreds of other things) pictures based on pixel size and path name.

What a world, eh? Capt. Purple

Reply to
Captain Purple

How about "its so flakey you'd be better off catching a virus." Worst piece of software I ever had. I've never got a virus yet, but I've lost 2 machines to NIS.

separate "personal

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

exactly - Norton stuff was good when Peter Norton wrote it....

Reply to
Dave Milne