poor shifting

Hey all, when my 97 jeep tj (5spd manual) is cold, it's hard to shift from 1st to 2nd and vice versa. Once it's warmed up a bit, it shifts alot easier.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Reply to
Mythic

I had rough shifting on my AX-15 trans. Switched from API GL-5 oil to GM Synchromesh. Significant improvement, especially when cold. Also available as Pennzoil Synchromesh: same as the GM stuff but cheaper:

The AX-15 has sintered brass synchros that don't tolerate sulfur in regular GL-5 90 weight oil. Better to use API GL-3 rated lubes like Synchromesh or Red Line MTL.

Steve

Mythic wrote:

Reply to
Steve

Mythic did pass the time by typing:

Yep, let it warm up. :)

couldn't resist.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Jeep

Low gear oil would be my first guess and water inside the second.

The TJ tranny has no high water vent so they easily can get filled with water if you go too deep.

Mike

Mythic wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

My '99 was the same... I switched to Redline synthetic and it's been much better.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Moller

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

well it seems that water was the main cause of mine going bad...now looking for the best ideas on relocating the vent lines?/ Bill ya got a link for that?? Jeff

Reply to
Jeep

There is the trouble, you don't 'have' a vent line. Jeep decided to protect every other part of the vehicle except the transmission.

I pulled the stooopid button vent out of mine and tapped in a piece of steel gas line to make a nipple for the vent line. I used transmission hose and ran it up by the battery then inverted the top in a cane handle loop. to make an air lock. Pointed the end down.

Mike

Jeep wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

As I still haven't done mine, but will, what is the cane loop/air lock for?

Reply to
Greg

You can demonstrate this in the house: Fill the sink with water Hold a cup with the opening facing down Push the cup into the sink Now, how much water is in the cup?

If you simply point the hose up, you have merely increased the necessary water level before you end up in the exact same situation. However, by pointing the opening down you create a situation where the air in the hose will prevent water from entering even if the water is well over the top of the hose.

-D

Reply to
Derrick Hudson

Yup, just what he said. The stock ones come with a fitting that has a nipple end up with a cap over it. The cap acts just like the below mentioned cup.

Mike

Derrick Huds>

Reply to
Mike Romain