POR-15, good for rotors and calipers?

Hi,

I've used POR-15 for floorpans and think it's the best stuff ever, but can I use on brake parts, too? Last time I painted my rear drums with hi-temp expoxy exhaust paint, that I baked in an oven.. wife hated the smell, it lasted for days ;) But it only lasted 3 years before rust poked through.

In the specs for POR-15, it does state resistance to 600 degrees F per Mil-D-3134F (whatever that is..).

What do you guys think? Will POR-15 survive calipers and rotors? No, I don't rally race, a normally street driven bug.

Reply to
David Gravereaux

Use POR20, same company but that's their high heat exhaust header paint. It's MUCH thinner than POR15, you can spray it with a paint gun. I had silver and black, there may be other colors.

Jan

Reply to
Jan Andersson

Jan Andersson wrote: >

Awesome, thanks!

Reply to
David Gravereaux

I think if the brakes got up to 600deg F you would be worried about more than the brakes!. Never tried it but cant think of any reason it wouldn,t work. I once dried an item I,d "fish oiled" in our oven. Very unreasonable , women. In Aust you can get enamel paint in spray cans with a rust inhibitor. Sprayed the rear drums it would have to be 5 years ago and still no rust. Its getting a bit dull but otherwise still good. It wasnt temperature resistant at all which makes me think POR would be fine. Cheers John

Reply to
John

Ya know.. I know brakes parts get hot, but never really thought exactly how much, actually, 'till now. DOT4 brake fluid boils at 446F. So yes,

600F and I'm in trouble. But rotor surface and piston back at the fluid are different locations. Then I read papers like this and notice the fun picture at the top of the page, and still wonder:

I do have 3 mini cans of black POR-15 in my garage left over from a floorpan job. Now you got me confused ;)

I think I want to do them in red.. Ok, POR-20, done..

Reply to
David Gravereaux

i used regular "engine" paint on my calipers and rotors about four years ago...i drive the car hard in the curvey roads here in the hills of Virginia....no peeling or fading yet.... i have seen caliper paint in various colors at the local chain parts stores...

Reply to
Joey Tribiani