rollover accident

That depends on the rig and the location. I can chain my Jeepster to a tree and winch a much heavier load than the weight of my rig.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Some of the local guys know the kid that rolled over. It happened when he was trying to go up a big gravel hill in two wheel drive. When he almost got to the top he started to spin his tires and started to roll back, the front end was trying to pass the back end and the Jeep went sideways and rolled the jack was on the top of his roll cage above the driver and passenger seats so he was able to get to it. Also apparently he was wearing a lap belt and when he felt it going over put his leg outside in a futile effort to save it from tipping. One report said that within a few minutes of getting himself out from under the Jeep a motor cycle came by and helped him get to help.

Reply to
Fletcher

I'm right with you. As I read that article, my first thought as well was, how did his FOOT get stuck THERE? Idiot should have worn a seatbelt!

Even with doors off and a foot outside, I don't know if I'd be flexible enough to get my foot up by the top rollbar and windshield frame area! ;-)

Reply to
Bob

I have seen those foot pegs advertised which bolt on the outside body of the jeep and allow you to drive with one foot on the outside of the vehicle... I have always thought those were the dumbest possible mods to make.

"Gee, I have an open vehicle which is lifted and prone to rollover.... I wonder if there's any way I can modify it so that my easily damaged human tissues are even less protected?"

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

OUCH! So, you think what happened here is brake pedal overapplication? From the video it looked like the wheels kept turning... (I guess the proper thing to have done would have been to put the clutch in and let it roll back?)

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

Brakes were on only to pose for the cameras.

Reply to
jbjeep

I was trying to...and I was 1/2 a second to late. The first mistake I made was trying to drive on out, I should have just rolled back when the cameras were finished.

Reply to
jbjeep

...or has never been in the Utah canyons. The locals use ham radios, but even those don't work worth a darn if you are at the bottom of a coupla thousand foot canyon and the nearest help is 50-100 miles away. Cell phones? Hah, there are no towers anywhere near most of the good trails. A flare is also useless if there is no one withing several dozen miles to see it except a coyote. I can think of half a dozen friends or acquaintances that grew up in that area that are no longer alive--simply due to heading out by themselves and believing they were good enough to rescue themselves. A couple of the bodies weren't found for a couple years, even for guys that made sure the local Jeep Posse knew exactly where they planned to be.

Approximately 10/9/03 19:42, Jerry Bransford uttered for posterity:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

You can always carry a "plow" anchor, or bury the spare. This is cool, you can click the arrows to rotate the picture and see all angles, then build your own.

Paul Calman

L.W.(ßill)

Approximately 10/10/03 15:24, Paul Calman uttered for posterity:

Here ya go, bury your anchor or tie it to a tree here:

or here:

or here:

or here:

and last but not least, here is one for Daimler Chrysler for what they did to the Libby:

Hey Nathan, that one looks cool enough for Sevenslotgrille. And yes, that is the knickname for the formation.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

Not to much in the way of trees but plenty of spots for an anchor to be lodged. Any crack or rock large enough to set the points of an anchor will do.

Dave Nagel

L> Approximately 10/10/03 15:24, Paul Calman uttered for posterity: >

Reply to
David G. Nagel

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

There is always a way. A one inch steel spike and an ax?

Reply to
Paul Calman

I know you are razzing me. =)

Yea, once it started its little dance, that was all she wrote!

I was lucky, I _somehow_ did every thing right once it started to go - or so they told me. I just tucked in, grabbed on to the steering wheel, and didnt panic (or even yell or scream). It was sort of a fatalistic feeling of "oh shit, this is it". But, all things considered I really didnt get hurt. Sore back for a week or two, some realy ugly bruises (note to self: take microtool/knife and work keys out of pockets when wheeling), little tiny cut on the hand, tiny bump on the head. Nothing major at all. Several of the guys said once it started to go they were primed for something major, figuring I would panic, put my hand out or something else stupid like that. We all were mighty glad I didnt. =)

Reply to
jbjeep

jbjeep wrote:

Reply to
John Sevey

Yes. It only took roughly 6 months, but its back on the road. Next weekend will be its first trail test. I just spent some time moving my mag light and mounting fire extingushers in the rig, only a few more little things to do and it will be ready to go out and play again. I had it in the gravel last weekend and was running in

2H. It felt pretty good. Actually it felt really odd since I am usually aired down and disconnected, but we were just headed up to a memorial for a fellow OBH'er, and I wasnt doing any wheeling afterwards.

Reply to
jbjeep