Schaeffer Synthetic Oil

I have read a good many of the posts hereon pertaining to opinions and facts concerning synthetic oil, and as a result, have a question:

Having found that AMSOIL has been thoroughly discredited for lack of certain industry standard certifications, I am wondering about Schaeffer full synthetic. I have not been able to determine as yet whether or not Schaeffer has obtained the certifications that AMSOIL has not. However, I am looking for a full synthetic for my Wagoneer, and found their data impressive.

All facts and opinions will be appreciated.

Reply to
randallbrink

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Bill:

Thanks very much for these suggestions. I couldn't recall what to look for in terms of the standards. Further investigation reveals that Schaeffer lacks these certifications, so I'll pass on it.

You're probably right about the "no-name brand" although I would have been willing to accept their product statements, had they gone to the trouble of obtaining industry-recognized certification. It's similar to the AMSOIL case where the lack of standards certification colors all the claims of product superiority. I was taken in by the AMSOIL sales information some years ago and don't want to make the same mistake again.

Thanks!

Reply to
randallbrink

I would just get the Mobil 1. It isn't much more expensive than the non-synth if you buy the 5 quart bottle.

Reply to
nrs

Also check out Walmarts sythetic oil. It's rebranded Mobile 1. :) Quaker State makes the Walmart dino oil.

The reason the 5qt bottle is cheaper is there is a "disposal fee" tacked onto each bottle of oil sold.

Another place to get a good deal on motor oil is the local Travel America (or Truckstop America if your older). Especially if you drive a diesel!

Reply to
DougW

Is there proof out there? I would start buying the Wal-Mart Synthetic more!!!

thanks

snip

snip

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Proof is variable. Walmart does redo the contract for the store brand every so often. The last time it was produced by the same folks as Mobile 1. Before that it was Castrol. My contact isn't there anymore so the only thing I can say is read the spec and MSDS. These days most synthetic is the same. It's more a name game than anything else.

Either way it is always cheaper getting the larger

5qt bottle. Mainly because of a per-bottle disposal tax.

I've been happy with it in my ZJ. 156,000 miles. Then again I go with the lowest cost synthetic out there and always the Mobile 1 (pure one) filter. I even use regular dino oil if the local dealership is running a 19.95 oil change. The key is frequency of change. I always change oil and filter. To date the oil in my ZJ still looks new.

I also recommend NAPA Sea Foam. Does a great job of keeping the engine free from buildup.

The only thing I don't switch is the 10W50 Mobile Synthetic for the supercharger. It's a bit more precise than the engine and Opcon (the actual maker of the body) specs it out. :)

Reply to
DougW