Showdown on the Rubicon (outcome)

FYI ==>

Special Ops

Well done, Dennis !

Out of interest, one bit puzzles me: Judge Dowd delivered a victory to both parties in May when he ordered Ewald to stop using trademarked Jeep parts on his cargo trailers .. and, based on a precedent called nominative fair use, Judge Dowd granted Ewald the right to continue to advertise his trailers as "built with authentic new Jeep parts"

So is that saying you could build it with Jeep bits as long as those parts don't say "Jeep" on them ?

Dave Milne

Nathan, where are you?

Reply to
mabar

Woohooo a victory for the little guy, ok partial victory, but a victory none the less. It's about time some one stood up to those DC NAZI's. (for the DC spies reading this "eat my shorts" -Bart Simpson). Too bad he didn't keep the right to use the Rubicon name or at the very least have both trade marks tossed out on the basis that DC doesn't own the Rubicon Trail (neither did Denis) and force both parties to re-name their products.

Snow ...

Reply to
Snow

Reply to
twaldron

Special Ops did pass the time by typing:

Heh.

The key in there is Dennis had the rights to the "Rubicon (tm)". Just think what DC had to pay him for that. And rightfully too.

Way to go Dennis!

Reply to
DougW

Dave --- The reporter misunderstood the May ruling. D.C. lost on all of their motions in that ruling, except one. The judge ruled that I could no longer use NOS CJ-7 tailgates, which I was obtaining from Willys Overland Motors Inc., here in Toledo. Those tailgates (for CJ-7's), which had been manufactured by Chrysler, said Jeep on them. However, he did not prohibit me from using other tailgates manufactured by Jeep, or anyone else, which did not say Jeep on them. Since that supply of tailgates had been depleted, and there are no more of them, that I know of, it was a hollow victory for D.C. I could no longer use tailgates which I could no longer get, anyway. So what? --- The judge then ruled against D.C. on all of their motions for summary judgement. That left D.C. out of ammo with nothing standing between them and a jury trial. And, there was no way they wanted to face a jury. I, on the other hand, was still fully loaded with more ammo than Carter has liver pills. The May ruling was a resounding defeat for D.C. Even the arrogant D.C. lawyers, from Atlanta, could see the writing on the wall. --- So, you are correct, Dave. I can still use new Jeep parts, just as long as they don't say Jeep on them. --- Thank you for your interest. --- Regards --- D.J.

Special Ops

My only regret is that I won't be able to drive down to Toledo anymore and pick one up when the time comes. Best of luck to you in AZ, Dennis, and let us know when your move is complete and your AZ operation is in production.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

This is great news. I am very happy for you and yours. I have been wondering how things were going on this. Even though I only know you through cyber space, I feel like your friend and have been pulling for you the entire time. When I get my junk repaired and if you are back in AZ please look me up through the Az Virtual Jeep Club. I would love to go wheeling with you and buy you a cold beverage.

Regards,

--JamesT

Reply to
RocknTJ

Congrats! :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Well done!

Mike

Special >

Reply to
Mike Romain

I posted it on his board. I am sure he will be grinning ear-to-ear when he hears the news. I still think DC should have paid Nate for rubicon.com.

--James

Reply to
RocknTJ

Perhaps, but the facts of Nate's case were completely different, and he never got real legal advice.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Oh and BTW Jerry,

There were NO nude girl pics on Rubicon.com and they still took it.

Reply to
RocknTJ

Wasn't it JeepRubicon.com ?

Reply to
Dave Milne

No.

I think you might be getting rubicon.com confused with hardcorejeep.com. Rubicon.com was Nate's and wasn't even "online" really. Even though Nate had owned it way before the Rubicon Jeep was introduced DC stold it.

--James

Reply to
RocknTJ

Congratulations Dennis!

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

many congratulations dennis. im truly happy to see justice done. i can only imagine your level of personal satisfaction by putting one person in particular in her place.

Reply to
MontanaJeeper

"settle or cough up $60,000+" was all the advice i needed. :-)

Reply to
MontanaJeeper