Tera flex arms

Playing around trying to rid some acceleration shake in my 99tj w/3inch Tera system lift. Am I right to think:

turning arms clockwise lengthens arms and decreases angle? turning arms counter-clockwise shortens arms and increases angle?

I am riding on 33" bfg at ko tires, anyone else with this combo have advise? Transfer case has already been dropped as part of lift system.

Reply to
scott

Which axle are you talking about? Rear I assume? And whether to lengthen or shorten an arm to raise or lower the pinion angle depends on if you're talking about upper or lower arms. Which way do you need the pinion angle to go? Further up or down?

But usually, you should not even be messing around with the pinion angle with the OE driveshaft, especially if you don't know what you're doing... and also because the rear pinion angle should remain parallel to the t-case output shaft's angle with the OE driveshaft still installed.

Finally, it's right at about the 3" lift height and taller where dropping the t-case an inch is not enough, as you've figured out. Instead of attempting to adjust the rear axle's pinion angle which is not likely the right approach in this circumstance, you'd probably be better off installing

1" taller motor mounts. Adding them is like dropping your t-case another inch. For a 3" suspension lift, a 1" t-case drop and a set of 1" taller motor mounts like from M.O.R.E. is usually enough.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Thanks Jerry, I do mean the rear axle. I will look into taller motor mounts but.... I had no problems with vibration until my local shop replaced my lower Tera controll arms with new (also Tera under warranty) lower controll arms. I figure they did not compare with the old ones and messed up on the length.

Reply to
scott

I was assuming you had stock arms so installing new arms could mess up the angle even worse. It is now clear the shop that installed that already did that... so I would adjust the length of the replacement arms back to where the rear pinion angle is parallel to the t-case output shaft again, as it should be when the factory driveshaft is still in place. I have no idea which direction to go since that depends on how the shop screwed the angle up when they installed the replacement arms.

Ideally, the rear pinion angle should be pointing 1 to 2 degrees under that of the t-case output shaft (to counteract axle wrap) but that slight angle is not discernable by eye alone... but it will look like the two are parallel as illustrated in the "Geometry 101" page in the Tech Info area at

. Look for the illustration entitled "Proper Geometry for Conventional Two Joint Drive Shaft" which illustrates the proper angles.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford